Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Of Ethics, Traditions and a way of life

1K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Nailknot 
G
#1 ·
I have lurked over here for some time without seeing a need to speak up. As someone who sees great value in young people learning to flyfish, I was excited to see a “beginners” site pop up. I’m sure this will offend some of you but in essence, that is what this site is. For those of you who are not beginners, please forgive me this generalization.

There is nothing wrong with being a beginner. We all were at some point and I for one remember fondly those early days of discovery, exuberance and wonder. Included in this though is an expectation to strive to grow and to learn to do things the right way. Call this the price you pay for the joy the sport brings.

None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. Lest you feel I am preaching at you from a glass house, I will relate that I still ashamed of my actions regarding the first steelhead I ever caught on a fly. In my ignorance and my exuberance, I pulled this lovely little wild male 10’ up on the rocks and then held him for a ½ dozen pictures while he gasped for air and spilt milt down my waders. I have one of those pictures at my desk, not to commemorate the glorious catch but to remember how easy it is to let happiness at an accomplishment overshadow what is right. That was many years ago now but no matter how hard I work to improve the future for steelhead, and I have worked hard to do just that, I can never shake the question of how many fish did I potentially remove from the gene pool by my careless actions that February day.

All of which brings me to the recent focus on ethics. This has been disturbing to me because of the backlash and hostility these discussions have brought out. I have read things like “I want to read fishing stories, see pictures, read reports about fishing and have fun!” and “I need more knowledge, not controversy”. Well gentlemen, I am sorry to have to tell you that there is more to flyfishing than pictures of fish, finding out what fly works where and fun. There is also responsibility.

Up until current times, picking up a flyrod meant more than catching fish. It meant subscribing to an ethic and in many ways a perspective on recreation. I recently heard someone refer to flyfishing as the art of learning to manage ones expectations. I like this because except for rare instances mostly centered around trout, one casts a fly knowing that doing so will be less successful than fishing gear. That is ok though because the challenge is part of the appeal. We flyfish not to catch more fish but to catch them in a way that is sporting to both the fish and us. Becoming a flyfisher meant excepting the unwritten code that came with the sport. You can refer to this as ethics or tradition or simply what it means to be a flyfisher. I am certainly not qualified to list all of this out but know that it encompasses everything from proper etiquette in fishing through a run to casting over spawning fish.

Maybe as a by-product of the Internet age or maybe just as a symptom of “progress”, there now seems to be a push to enjoy the benefits of flyfishing without the responsibilities. A belief that the new breed doesn’t need to subscribe to the restraints of old. I sincerely hope this is a passing fad as while it might seem like a good idea to not have to worry about the conventions of those that went before you, I assure you that you will be much poorer because of it.

In closing, for those interested there is no need to list out the traditions and ethics I mentioned earlier as they can be largely boiled down into “do what you know is right”. Most of us know deep down when they have crossed that line. Just because it’s legal doesn’t make it right. I f you start listening to that little voice inside, I guarantee you that flyfishing will be become more meaningful. If you find that you can’t or won’t listen, might I suggest that this way of life may not be for you.

Sincerely,
Duggan Harman
"sinktip"

See less See more
#27 ·
I just spent a good portion of my lunch hour re-reading this very thoughtful thread. I just wanted to post again to say how much I've enjoyed everyone's thoughts. With only a couple of exceptions, this thread has been an excellent example of how to discuss (and disagree upon) these matters courteously. It's been a good read. :THUMBSUP

db

"If I don't catch them today, I'll catch them another day." Art Flick

#28 ·
Thanks Duggan, well said. I apologize if my post wasn't clear in my total agreement with the sentiments, just advocating a broad approach.

Watersprite, name calling looks very unbecoming on you. That's all I have to say about that. (thanks for the edit watersprite. edit 2: thanks for removing the incriminating post, for taking the high road, you are welcome.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.