Olympic Reels

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Jack Devlin, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

DSC01636 - Version 2.jpeg DSC01637 - Version 3.jpeg Can anyone tell me about Olympic reels (Made in Japan)? When were they made? I wasn't able to find any info on them. Reason I ask is that I just picked up a brand new Olympic Model 440. Very similar to the Medalist reels and about the size of a Medalist 1495. From a distance, the stark white plastic parts make the reel look "cheesy" but upon close inspection it is actually a well made, decent reel. I like it a lot especially knowing I bought it for $16.
    Jack

2. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Try ORCA. Do a search in the various forums for Olympic. I think you'll find plenty of info there.

http://orca-online.org

TC

3. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

From the research I've done online, Olympic/Seiko made a ton for reels, many of them clones of popular reel models at the time. They made all of the Heddon, Daiwa, EC clones of Hardy reels and made a bunch of Pflueger clones too. From what I've heard they seem to perform decently and can be had at a pretty reasonable price. There is a lot of information on the fiberglass fly rod forum about various models as well.