One last try at Winter... Please?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Thomas Mitchell, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +183 / 2
    Life being what it is, I think I'll probably get one last shot at winter-runs on the OP before the season moves into summer mode and I start shifting away from big steelhead speys to smaller, buggier bugs.

Late last month, I just received a wonderful little fly wallet from Olaf Kundrus in Germany. He's a helluva craftsman, from bamboo rods to leatherwork. www.handgespliesste.de

Almost the same day, I received a small Dunhill Shell Briar pipe that was made in the year of my birth. So two small birthday presents to myself that I'm looking forward to using on my next run across the Hood Canal bridge which is the divider between real and fantasy for me. I just can't decide which is which...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +133 / 0
    If you don't mind, how much was that?
  3. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    Awesome flies! I too have one more shot at the west end and hope I actually get to connect to a fish over there for once. Seems like it's been too long (two years) since I've reeled in one of those chrome bullets. Such is fishing, such is life.
  4. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    I like your style Thomas.
  5. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    Thomas tell me are you are the real Lord Grantham of Downton Abbey?
  6. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Matt, I did OK on the summer-runs but have struck out swinging this winter in 5 trips. It was a downer after having a such a good time last winter. False expectations... Hopefully my one last try will come through but I'm not counting on it.

Chris, we need to talk rasslin' some time. The kid is doing well, headed back to the OTC next month. I'm really looking forward to the D1's being on ESPN. Now if they would just sort out the IOC debacle...
  7. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Wow I almost forgot about the ncaa finals, I went a few years ago when they were in St. Louis. They are really incredible, you should go sometime, if you haven't already. Good luck on the OP, I was out there 2 weeks ago and went 1 for 3.
  8. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +872 / 0
    No kidding, Chris! Makes me want to put on a tattersall shirt and tie, and rummage around in the closet for my tweeds! Great photos, Thomas; I should fire up one of my bents!
  9. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Usually if you have to ask the price of something you cannot afford it.:D
  10. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    LOL, I'll be smoking my Dunhill while wearing my puffy jacket and flat brimmed cap...
  11. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Get thee behind me satan!
  12. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    This is the side of fly fishing that I have always loved, the art and craft of it. I am really enjoying this set of pictures. Just beautiful in every way. This incoming cold snap and relatively dry air forecast in the next week could be the propitious opportunity for you to get back on the good swinging water as the rivers drop into sweet shape. I am liking that green color again. My "Almost-Weekly-Blog": http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com