One line, multiple heads?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by wyofly, Jan 16, 2013.

1. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I was wondering if anyone is manufacturing a spey line with multiple heads such as a full sinker, moderate sinker and a floating head?
  2. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +136 / 3
    With all the choices out there for running lines, not to mention Scandi, Skagit, Scandit, Hybrid heads, and the different tips available, I seriously doubt anyone would try to package what's already out there.
    trout bum and fredaevans like this.
  3. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I just run t14 with multiple lengths
  4. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    Doesn't Rio still make the Versitip?
  5. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Speyfisher wrote, "With all the choices out there for running lines, not to mention Scandi, Skagit, Scandit, Hybrid heads, and the different tips available, I seriously doubt anyone would try to package what's already out there."
    When it comes to spey fishing and associated tackle, I' a novice, so please have patience with me. If I understand what you wrote, one line with multiple heads exist. If not will you further explain what you mean by the above comment?

Steve, Versatip sounds about what I wanted to know. I'll google Rio versatip and se what shows up. Thanks.
  6. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Steve, Rio Versatip is available and it is exactly what I had in mind, however it is for cold fresh water only.
  7. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0
    What are you looking to do with the line in question?
  8. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    I want to fish Puget sound for trout and salmon. I'm hoping to find a line system with multiple heads as in full sink, intermediate and floating.
  9. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    I haven't cast the vers-tip Spey, but I used a single-handed version in the salt without problems for years. Alternatively you could just get a floating head and the appropriate sized MOW tips. Another option would be a running line with various heads that you could just swap in and out.
  10. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Pretty much every line manufacturer has a multi-tip. I really like the Airflo Delta. Another line to consider is the Nextcast Winter Authority 45. It's between a skagit and a short belly like the Delta. It doesn't come with tips, but you can fish poly leaders. Unfortunately, they are pretty hard to come by right now.
  11. Evan Virnoche Guest

I have an 8 wt versa tip for sale
  12. Evan Virnoche Guest

13. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Big Tuna, Thanks, that helped a lot. I need more education on everything spey.
  14. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +658 / 5
    I do believe Meiser has a scandi/skagit multi tip/head system. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
  15. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +20 / 0
  16. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    My op has been answered, thank you one and all. When I make the decision on a rod, I'll get a compatible line system.
  17. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    rio afs heads are avail in several sink rates, as well as floaters, all are scandi heads, just add running line.
  18. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    hydrological, thank you. As I learn more about heads and what is available, I might be able to make a good decision when the time comes.:)
  19. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    never mind wyo, i guess theyre discontinued, replaced by the scandi short versitip.
  20. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Wyo has a well deserved reputation for not minding.:D