OP Queets/Hoh/Quinault summer steel?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Paul Bucci, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Paul Bucci New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hey guys, I'll be headed to the OP Aug 29-Sep 1, and I'll likely be camping near the Hoh or Queets. I originally intended on trying to get in some trout fishing but I figure I might try my luck at some rivers that may have some steelhead in them.

I've got a 6wt and an 8wt with 250 grain Rio 24-ft sink tip I usually use on the 8 wt, floating line for both, lots of big nymphs and some big articulated streamers and leeches in pink, purple, black, etc. I have no preferred methods and obviously I don't know much about these rivers. I've learned a lot by searching old posts here, but I'd like to ask some opinions.

Any river or general area I should focus on most? Nymphing vs swinging? Equipment suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
    -Paul
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  2. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +513 / 0
    ESL's ...colors vary but purple pink...olive pink....black pink...all good!!!!
  3. Paul Bucci New Member

Thanks! I've got plenty egg sucking leeches in those colors left from my recent British Columbia bull trout trip :)
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    Aug. 29-Sept. 1? You have floating lines; why not fish them? Size 6 Spade, Muddler Minnow, October caddis, Waller Waker.

Sg
  5. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +649 / 0

The Hoh River is closed to fishing this summer, within the boundaries of Olympic National Park, to protect wild summer Chinook salmon. There is still plenty of Washington state water on the river to fish, and some good places to camp. All of the access to the river is basically from the road, along the upper river is some of the best and easiest access though there are many nice places below hwy 101 as well. The Queets River too has simple roadside access along most of its length. Some fun hiking and fishing and camping can be found by wading across the river near the campground, and Sams Creek, and hiking upriver. Any of Doug Rose's guide books on fly fishing the Olympic Peninsula waters would be helpful to you. I would be fine with the six weight up there, and a mix of surface waking and dry flies, especially Steelhead Caddis, wet flies like soft hackles and Skunks etc, and some streamers too. I would be using flies from #8 through #4. Generally I favor a size #6. Keep it simple and light. A 9 foot leader and 3X tippett should cover all of that. For more detailed information on fishing, and the regulations, within Olympic National Park I would go to: www.nps.gov/olym/fishregs.htm You will also use that website to check on any rule changes or updates on road and trail conditions etc., and you can get wilderness trip and camping permit information there as well.
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com
    Tacoma Red likes this.
  6. Paul Bucci New Member

Thanks a lot, Bob - great info. I probably won't have more than a few hours each on Thursday and Friday, but I'm still really looking forward to fishing these rivers.