Opening Day

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chris Bellows, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    "Wait?" you may be asking yourself, "Wasn't June 1 opening day for freshwater rivers?"

That is true, but the offshore waters of a country very close to us opened for coho yesterday. We 'Muricans cannot land salmon caught in Canada, but there's no rule against C&R and dammit, I really want to salmon fish. Last Monday I hopped the ferry for a nice day with the wife in Victoria where I also picked up a saltwater fishing license.

With the forecast calling for light winds and a 3 foot swell I drove out the night before and slept on the boat at the marina.

Woke up at 4:30 to bright skies so I started the engine and ate my breakfast as I motored out of the harbor. The ride to the bank is the worst run but with the conditions I was able to go a steady 14 knots.

Arrived to see lots of bird activity, mainly shearwaters sitting on the surface pecking at the krill. I started casting the popper and had one fish follow, creating a bulge of water behind the fly before turning away.

Later I noticed more bird activity along a beautiful tide rip so I ran the boat up to the top and drifted through. Second cast with a sinking line and clouser resulted in weight. A nice little wild coho around 4 pounds came in after a few jumps.

[IMG]

[IMG]

I wanted to stay on the rip but it moved into a closed area, so I spent the rest of the morning searching other rips with the cast fly with only one other boil on a small gurgler. It has been awhile since I had been out here fly fishing so I took it all in. The humpback whales I saw in the morning, the pelican I saw (earliest I've ever seen one this north), krill all over the place, and of course the few pods of fast moving boiling salmon that I could either not get close to or wouldn't take the fly I had on.

The slight wind started dying along with the current so I decided to head back in. First I had to wait.

[IMG]

The nice thing about running back in glass smooth water was being able to spot salmon boils. I saw them all the way back to Tatoosh. Not tons but definitely a good sign since I saw none on the run out. I saw no salmon boils or jumps inside the Strait.

Hopefully this bodes well for the next few months. I know I'm pumped for more good weather conditions and connecting on the popper (the rockfish made up for it though)

[IMG]
  2. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    Thanks for the report and sneak preview of this summer.
  3. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +297 / 0
    Sounds and looks like a beautiful day on the Straits with much interesting stuff to witness and catching some fish a bonus I'll bet that you were glad to have some flat water. It is hard to beat the Puget Sound environment during conditions like that.

Roger
  4. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +186 / 0
    Can't wait for July and August out there!
  5. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4
    Thanks for getting my heart rate up! I cannot wait! God I want to get a boat.
  6. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +354 / 0
    What a day! Thank you for the photos and report Chris
  7. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    Roger, it was 10 miles out in the ocean.
  8. Joepa Joe from PA

Awesome report. Sounds like perfect timing on the arrival of my new boat (picking it up tomorrow). Can't wait to get out. I was thinking about getting a CAN license.
  9. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    ya had a great day.
    yo, jeff dodd, what is that boat in your pic?

Outlaw
  10. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +354 / 0
    It's a 10' Smith Bros. Pram built on Samish Island.