Orvis 2013 Battenkill Fly Reel

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Porter, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +513 / 0
    Posted this on other thread but it is long winded.....but I think Orvis on to something here.... click on to reel and get more info...i think it works?

[IMG]
  2. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I like the simplicity.
    I don't like the "Imported" aspect.

Will the price really equate to under $150USD is the question.
  3. chief Active Member

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +123 / 1
    Edit - I posted the price from the Orvis catalog odf the disc drag reel - the click pawl version is not in the catalog.
  4. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    98 bones and 45 for spools.
  5. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    It look's a little weighty. What is the diameter and weight of the reel.
  6. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +638 / 2
    Well for 3.2 ounces at 3 1/4" dia for the 5-7 weights. that's a light reel. nice looks.
  7. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Thanks for the price info.

I'm interested in looking at one or two to check the fit between spool and frame.
  8. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Why is that reel on the Orvis UK site but not on the US one?

K
  9. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,069 / 0
    The reel Chief is talking about is the standard disc drag Battenkill. The new Battenkill click pawl model is listed in the new Feathercraft catalog at $98 and the spools are $59.

Kent, perhaps these are made in England and they are just filling the home market first. I read initially they they were going to be available on March 25 but when I called and ordered mine they said it would be mid May. Hopefully it arrives earlier than that.

Ive
  10. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0
    Ya, that is a nice weight. is there a link I would like to see the 3' and smaller.
  11. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
  12. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    • Battenkill I for line weights 1-3, 2.8 oz., 2¾" diameter.
    • Battenkill II for line weights 3-5, 2.9 oz., 3" diameter.
    • Battenkill III for line weights 5-7, 3.2 oz., 3¼" diameter.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +763 / 2
    Kyle Smith likes this.
  14. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +265 / 0
    Is that a blued silver finish? Those things look nice. Who even uses their disc drag for trout anyway?
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  15. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +756 / 0
    Well, there are many, many non imported, US made alternatives. If you don't like "imported" products then you have choices, like Abel, Tibor, Hatch, Ross, and Lamson/Waterworks, to name a few... You will also pay more, just the way of the world.

The referenced reel looks to be a nicely mchined reel for $100 or so, it seems like a value, imported or not.

I find comments about "overseas" gear almost inevitably has an anti-Asian bias. I have yet to see someone complain about Loop reels (Sweden) or British made Hardy's, or back when STH made reels (Argentina.) I think machinists from Korea have as much skill as anyone else, though if your issue is with low wages and human rights (think PRC) then I'm in agreement. But I see no issues with an Asian made reel, if that's your budget and to your liking.

To that end, I'm always a little surprised that St. Croix rods don't get more love among fly anglers. US made, nice components and good casting rods. I'd put any of their rods up against similarly priced products from anyone, including imported rods from TFO, Redington and the like.

$.02

Dan
    triploidjunkie and Munro like this.
  16. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    You hit it right on the head. Everybody loves the idea of buying American-made products, but they love the low prices of stuff made in Asia, except they hate the idea of the low wages and abuse paid to Asian workers, but they love the idea of the low prices resulting from such low wages.

Bottom line: you can't have both.

If you want low prices then the goods you buy will come with Made in China (or Korea or Bangladesh or India) stamped on the bottom. If you want products Made in America, then you're gonna pay more.

K
    Krusty likes this.
  17. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +244 / 1
    This new version of the Battenkill looks like a winner at a great price point. I like the narrow spool and the preset but adjustable drag. Both of those attributes are found on the Abel Creek. If its anywhere near the weight of the (now old) Battenkill it should be a great match for light weight graphite rods.

TC
  18. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    Miyawaki -

What is the story on this?
  19. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Leland's out fishing in Idaho, so may not get back right away. I'll be working at the shop tomorrow and see what I can find out about the availability and let you guys know.

Bill
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  20. teedub Active Member

Cle Elum
    Ratings: +98 / 0
    Fishing in Idaho - what is the world coming to? Thanks fly bill!