Orvis Heads up.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Danielocean, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +663 / 0
    Recently purchased an Orvis battentkill reel a couple weeks ago and when I recieved it I noticed that the head of the fastener that holds the handle on had been damaged due to someone slipping the flat head screwdriver on it. This bothered me a little so I called orvis to find out how much it would cost me to buy a new part.
    The service was prompt, and kind. The lady let me know that she had submitted a ticket for that part and I will hear in a few days from the warranty department about repairs/costs.
    Within about four days I received a ups envelope from Orvis containing not just the pin/fasterner, but the whole entire handle assembly free of charge no questions asked.
    I have never experienced sheer awesomeness like this before. Orvis definately wins my loyalty and wanted to let all of you know about the nice experience as well.
  2. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +773 / 0
    Man o man..... looks like Cabela's has a little competition!
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  3. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +663 / 0
    In my opinion "recently", cabela's is not really competitive hardly at all now. The more and more I learn about fly fishing, gear, and ect, I have really grown away from that retailer. I have been very frustrated lately because the Tulalip location never really has anything good there. Unless you are looking for cabelas name brand stuff I have discovered that you are out of luck.
    Denny and mgarritson like this.
  4. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +513 / 2
    Orvis is a solid company with great customer service.
  5. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,108 / 0
    Orvis and LL Bean-hard to beat their service.
    Denny likes this.
  6. Mike Garritson Member

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    Agreed on Cabela's...still like the store, but I've been going there less and less. Went to the Seattle fly fishing meetup at Orvis Bellevue and was really impressed with the knowledge, the store, and the Yakima River presentation they put on.
  7. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +890 / 1
    Orvis has been in business as a fly shop since 1856 and is the country's oldest mail order company. They've learned a thing or two about customer service since then. I'm glad to hear they took care of you so quickly and efficiently.

Leland.
    Dan Nelson and Jerry Daschofsky like this.
  8. Don Freeman Free Man

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +219 / 0
    Bottom line: Support your local shop.
  9. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    Thumbs up for Orvis! Been using Orvis gear since 1981 and wont be changing soon. Doesn't mean I don't buy other companies gear also.
    Dan Nelson likes this.
  10. MrP Member

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0

[IMG]
  11. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Haha ill never forget when i went in and asked if they had t14. The guy looked at me with the blankest stare.

I then bought a doo doo reel with my giftcard and he told me how great it was for salmon and steelhead.

Never heard of t14 but apparently hammers anadromus fizh species lol
  12. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    Cabela's customer service is spotty, at best. I've had both really good-above and beyond-service, and really shitty service. Orvis, on the other hand, like Leland says, has learned a thing or two about that aspect of doing business.