Orvis Hydros 3D Bank Shot Fly Line

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by William Wallace, Jun 23, 2013.

1. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +156 / 0
    Just wondering if anyone has any input on this line. Looks like it has similar characteristics as the Ambush? but, I have a hefty Orvis Gift Card and this is looking tempting when I get back to Washington in two weeks.

I built up a 11'4wt switch off a cheap blank, but loved how it felt and it seems to like right around 220-250gr and this line in a 6wt looks like it fits the bill. Looking to keep it just floating long leaders, no poly leaders or tips of any sort. Looking for T&G, short casts (20-30ft), casting dries (small 10-18's up to hoppers 6's) I have a 8wt Ambush, I could cast it, but to heavy for my liking.

William
  2. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +758 / 0
    William, I've got the 3D Bank Shot on my 9'6" 6wt SW H2, and it pairs very nicely. It's a great line for turning over large dries at short distances, two-fly indicator set up's at medium and long distances, and when used in concert with the polyleaders or even T-11, even better. Very good on a switch rod too. I recommend it for any of the above uses, and even fishing in the Sound with Leland's popper - it's a great all-arounder on the 6wt.

I don't, however, recommend it for smaller dries - stick with a power taper or WF.

Derek
  3. William Wallace Active Member

Graham Wa
    Ratings: +156 / 0
    Thanks Derek!

If it don't work on it, which I think it will, I have other rods it would work on.

William