Our first Fly Fishing trip

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by alreeves9, Apr 8, 2014.

1. alreeves9

alreeves9 New Member

At the end of May, I'd like to take my boyfriend fly fishing for his birthday. He's a novice fly fisherman and I know nothing about fly fishing so I was hoping to get some advice on what places would be good to go towards that part of the year. It's a surprise so I'd like to avoid asking him where we should go. If there are any spots that have camping, yurts, or cabin rentals, that would be best because we plan on going all weekend long. Thanks,

alreeves9

2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Freestone Inn and cabins in Mazama might be right up your alley.
    It's a nice time of year in the valley and there are lakes and guides available.

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

There is always the Yakima. Guides available in Ellensburg, Red's, Cle Elum.

Greg is right, the Mazama / Winthrop / Twisp area is very nice in the spring.

4. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    True, but there are no rivers or creeks open yet so it will be a lakes-only trip. You might want to subtlety question him about his interests and see if he prefers lakes or rivers. Most of the lakes are best fished from a boat or pontoon, although the Freestone Inn has a stocked lake that may be great for a beginner.

Also, the weekend of May 3-4 is the FFF Fly Fishing Fair in Ellensburg. This would be a great event to attend as there are classes and demonstrations galore. There will be some shops and guides with booths there and you could secretly pick their brains about where to go on your trip. You could attend the Fair for either a day or the weekend and there is camping right at the fairgrounds.

http://www.washingtoncouncilfff.org/test/Welcome.php

Patrick Gould and flybill like this.
  5. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Media:
    Cabins here in Northern California are nice. There are plenty of Cabins in Quincy, Chester, McCloud, Trinity River, and there are tons of places you can stay at. Fly Fishing is stellar here in NorCal during late May. An easy place to catch fish is the Lower Sacramento River. If you have waders, you'll catch fish, especially below the town of Anderson. Plenty of Bass Ponds too! I'm a younger generation, but I'm the most outdoorsy person I know besides some fly fishing guides I'm friends with. You won't have a problem finding what you want in Northern California. Good luck:)

flybill likes this.
  6. alreeves9

alreeves9 New Member

Why are rivers and creeks not open at the end of May? Is that for all of Washington or is it just for the Winthrop area. I tried looking online to see what streams/rivers would be open at the end of May but I couldn't find anything.

7. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Google WDFW fishing regulations and download the pdf

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    It might help if you tell people where you are located and how far you are willing to travel for a weekend of fishing and camping.

9. alreeves9

alreeves9 New Member

I live in Seattle and I'm willing to travel as far as Mazama/Winthrop. It'll be for a 3 day weekend and we'll be driving.

10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    The standard season for rivers and streams in WA is the first Saturday in June until October 31st. (this is primarily to protect spawning fish.) There are some exceptions and they are listed river by river in the WDFW Regulation pamphlet. (paper version or you can download the pdf found online ) The Yakima River is open year-round so that may be a good choice. However, the flows are very high that time of year so wading, while possible in spots, can be difficult. Keep in mind that many rivers and streams are flooded/swollen from snow melt run-off that time of year so even if they are open for fishing, the conditions may not be suitable. With lakes, that is not a problem so it is generally way easier to plan a 'sure bet ' lake trip than it is to plan a trip to a river.

11. alreeves9

alreeves9 New Member

Thank you! That helps a LOT!

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Alreeves9,

If you live in Seattle, in addition to Freestone's suggestion above, go to one of Seattle's fly shops and find someone who treats you well. That person should be in the first shop you visit, but there's a chance you'll have to try another. Tell that person what you want to do. That 4-star fly shop staffer will help you plan it all and fill you in on everything you'll need that you don't already have to pull it off.

Sg

13. ryfly

ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

I second the Freestone Inn. There are also local guides who are more than capable of taking you out on your first fly fishing trip. I would first look into taking a casting class or two before you attempt this. Derek Young, a member of this site is also THE Orvis endorsed flyfishing guide and a great dude as well.

Good luck and have fun. Just remember that it is fishing...not always catching.

14. Scott Salzer

Freestone - I was thinking stillwater but you were good to point out that moving water is not open. Sorry I wasn't more clear on that.

15. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    You mentioned late doing this in late May. If you are planning on Memorial Day weekend, just be aware that many of the campgrounds fill up quickly.
    Another option since everyone has suggested heading east. Head west and fish the salt with a guide for searun cutthroat. Bob Triggs can help you to do so.
    SF

16. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:

If I was living in Seattle and a beginner fly fisherman this would be a great option.

Another option might be to go to Oregon and fish the Mckenzie. It's open that time of year and might not be swollen with snowmelt like the Yakima and other northern cascade rivers. I've never fished it, but I've read that the upper river is good for native cutthroats. It's about the same amount of driving time as going to the Methow Valley area. Some other rivers in Oregon are open too.

17. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Okay, since I have have more time now, and don't want to leave the thread seeming curt:

I think maybe the reason so many people are thinking "head east" at that time is because the weather is more of a "sure bet." That can be an important consideration in couples' camping. It's true that there aren't a whole lot of streams open that time of year, and it's also true that a lot of people in general and beginner fly fishers tend to think of fly fishing as a thing you do in rivers and streams. But let me tell you, the lakes can be really fun, and your BF is probably more likely to catch a large fish in a lake. If you could wrangle a boat for the two of you, maybe a canoe or something, and head out on a trout lake...that could be a swell time. Bring sunscreen and cold beverages.

That said, getting your BF some insight into fishing Puget Sound for Sea Run Cutthroat Trout is a really good idea. The Sound is open year-round for catch and release fly-fishing, and if you're in Seattle, it's one of your best (only?) year-round local good options. And it can seem intimidating at first (maybe like fly fishing lakes too) but once you put a few things together it's pretty cool. So, you could take a look at camping at one of the State Parks on the west side of the Sound or on Hood Canal and then figuring out how you're going to get him to start casting at all that salt water. There are trout in there, believe it or not.

18. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    He is a novice and you dont know fly fishing. 2-3 days of fun and fishing.

I suggest lake fishing. He can fly fish 3 basic ways on a lake, the BONUS being YOU can fish 2 of the 3 ways without any skill or experience needed.( there are many ways to fish but lets focus on the novice guy and his lady having fun together)
    #1 troll/row around a lake with wet flies etc.
    #2 indicator fish( bobber and bug) sit on anchor and watch indicator go down.
    #3 he can cast out line and strip it back. YOU can do this too if you practice for a few minutes.

Boat rentals are available, for lake fishing you would need a pram or a little aluminum lake boat, both fit in the bed of a truck.... no trailer needed. lake fishing poses less threats than moving water. You both are out on the water together in private time. Either one can take a break, nap, come to shore or skip a session and have alone time. Lots of opportunities around lakes, some have parks and others have hiking trails etc.
    Plenty of lakes with camping amenities. There are areas where you could camp and fish a different lake each day, camp at one lake and fish the others etc etc . Key Peninsula, Mt Adams.

Since you are going in blind, keep us updated with your ideas, ask questions and you could end up with a fine tuned 3 day vacation of blissfulness.

Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  19. Scott Salzer

Matt:

While I can certainly appreciate your comments - do they have wading boots, do they have waders, stripping apron, how is the salad - do they have any gear, can they even cast a fly more than 10'? I am not sure of any of that. I read it as being novices so I would think a guided trip, gear provided would be the best bet.

Your ideas are good but not for a novice, first timer. Besides, it seems that a little "pampering" would be involved.

Just my opinion....

MB