Peacock Bass

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kcahill, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I have a couple days booked with a guide to find some of these critters, and am going to start tying up flies for the trip here pretty soon. I imagine the normal table fare of crystal buggers, egg sucking leaches, poppers, and baitfish apply.

From searching google it seems like their favorite food is smaller peacocks so I will tie up in those colors but if any of you guys have fished for them and have any input on patterns or colors let me know. These will be my first attempt at tying weedless flies so I will throw up some pictures so we can all have a good laugh!

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

I think the bigger the better... but I'm not totally sure

3. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

I fished for them when I was in Singapore. These were not the 20 pound plus brutes, but they were a lot of fun to catch on lighter rods. The primary pattern I used was a "baby peacock". If they did not have orange in them, they would not touch them. We tied them so they were about 3 inches long. Good luck on your trip.

Shawn

4. GAT

GAT Active Member

Man, I'd love to fish for peacock bass! From watching fishing shows with peacock bass as the target, it appears they are not using anything different for poppers than we use for LMB.

5. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

The ones I fished for in Miami ate chartreuse & white Clousers about 2-3" long.

6. formerguide

formerguide Active Member

Where are you fishing for them? My only experiences have been in the Amazon, but bigger is better there. I did well on the "peacock" colored flies of orange/yellow/green. But my best success was always on more muted, natural flies (grays and browns and white) in really, really large profile ties. 6/0 Major Bunkers, 8" EP flies, 6/0 half and halfs, etc... Poppers and topwater was fun, but never yielded really big (15lb plus) fish. Here's a few pics from my last trip in 2009 to whet your appetite. Good luck, be sure to post some pics upon your return!

Dan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plaegreid and Nick Clayton like this.
  7. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Unfortunately I wont be heading to south america, just to the islands where the record is like 11 lbs and the average is probably 4-6lbs. That first pic that fish looks like a pig, how rough were those things on tippet\reel on the take? I am used to large mouth fishing where they just inhale it but I have heard peacock will slam the fly and shock everything.

KC

8. Stan Wright

Stan Wright Member

Our Hawaii peacock bass average just a little over 2 pounds, with a 3 or 4 pounder not that uncommon. They feed exclusively on smaller fish so any lure or fly that looks or acts like a little fish works fine.

On Oahu, most of the forage fish in Lake Wilson (shad, tilapia, mosquito fish, 5-bar general, and other aquarium fish) are on the small side, 1 to 3 inches... so we tend to use smaller flys.

I like a 5wt or 6wt rod with floating line. Short tapered bass leaders 5 to 6 feet long. Peacock bass are not leader shy. Tenkara rods can be lots of fun. LOL

My favorite fly is a kind of gold flash-a-boo Crazy Charlie with pink bead eyes. Any combinations with white, gold, orange, pink, yellow, green or chartreuse will work. Yes, peacock bass love to eat little peacock bass.
    Here are some of the flys we've used.
    [​IMG]

The 50 Cent Fly. #10 AH hook, orange thread, bead eyes, and
    gold flash-a-boo. So cheep the local fly shop said they couldn't
    sell it for 50 cents. (but they do)
    [​IMG]

White has always been a good color. I like keel hooks because they are fairly weedless.
    [​IMG]

We've landed 5 and 6 pound fish on these.
    [​IMG]