Peacock & Black

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Patagonguy, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Patagonguy Active Member

Argentina
    Ratings: +88 / 0
  2. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +383 / 1
    nice tie, ive been doin well in stillwater with one just like that.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  3. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Very nice! That's a beauty! It reminds me that I need to tie some up very similar to that for my local lakes, which get hatches of black gnats. I think I only have a couple similar ones left in my box.
    I've found that a BH soft hackle like that will sink slowly, and stay in the zone with a slow hand-twist retrieve on regular mono tippet/leader and a floating line.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

inland
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    i have an almost identical pattern (minus the bead, different hook)
    that i swing for summer steelhead. basically my lazy mans bastardized steelhead coachman. probably someone out there using it for smallies
    too :eek:
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Leisenring's Black Gnat looks similar, though without the BH. I recently read an article about it on a blog called "Soft-Hackle Journal."
  6. Patagonguy Active Member

Argentina
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    Thanks guys! Yes, after fishing many years with the fantastic soft hackles in Patagonia (specially the Partridge Series) y finally added BH's to the flies. As McNasty said, to add a BH when you love to cast floating lines, is the best. See that the bead head is small, because (as we know) a soft hackle needs to work almost below the surface or at least on the first 2-3ft below. This black feather (hen) and the peacock-cooper wire combination is deadly in my area, specially when I cast in still waters close to the rushes and rocks. In that cases I wait 10-20seconds (depending on the depth) before the retrieve, and sometimes trout catch it during the sinking. I prefer to use fluorocarbon as tippet; a long section. Good fishing!
    Ron McNeal, Jim Wallace and Bert like this.
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    I have become a fan of the BH soft-hackle, too. I use them in lakes, but also for coastal cutthroat when I'm fishing with a floating line, and sometimes with a clear sinktip to get down deeper into the pools.
    I have some small silver beads that I am going to use in my attempt to copy your fly in the pic you posted.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,560 / 0
    I like it. I have tied the pattern in brown and peacock but not black and peacock. Works for me.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I sure hope they work. I just finished tying a dozen of the critters!
    Patagonguy likes this.
  10. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    I use a similar pattern without the bead to great effect. Tied on a size 14 and 16 hook with starling hackle it is a great fly.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  11. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I am also using starling for the collar. I have no idea when or where I bought the feathers but they sure work well for tying soft hackles.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  12. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    I was going to ask for the recipe for the fly and then I saw the title - peacock and black. Gotta learn to read everything.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  13. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I'm going to tie some with olive colored bodies... just for the heck of it.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  14. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Gene, I love tying with starling. Some of my favorite hackle for the wee wets.
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I hate the birds... I'm glad they're are useful for something.

Medium colored olive soft hackles are quite effective in the stillwaters I fish. I decided to tie some of the patterns with a medium olive body. No clue if they'll work but it's worth a try.

IMG_1754.jpg
    Patagonguy likes this.
  16. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    what's the hackle
  17. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    sorry
    just re read the thread