Pebble Mine

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, May 18, 2013.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

A 7 minute snippet for the friends of Bristol Bay last half a little boring

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/65625553" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

2. fishingAK14

fishingAK14 Member

Thanks for sharing. I moved from Alaska this past summer and am not quite as informed as I was while up there.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

It's really scary thinking about what could happen if the mine is allowed to go ahead. I've been going to Alaska for more than 30 years to visit my brother and to fish with him. I've seen so many changes in the fishery. At one time, you could catch fish in a 55 gallon drum. Now, if you can drive there, it's pretty much fished out in many locations. That's the fault of the Fish and Game people and residents as well. The places are over-fished. The fish are disappearing.

I talked with my brother recently and he told me that the King salmon fishery is in real danger there. We are enjoying King salmon fisheries here that are nearly as good, now. For the first ime ever, I sensed fear and concern in his voice when we spoke.

The same thing is happening in Canada. I'm glad I won't be around to see the demise but I fear for the future generations of people who will never enjoy the pleasure of catching a salmon. It's a damn shame.