Perch?

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by hedburner, Mar 22, 2013.

1. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Any good patterns for perch? Really knock em' dead type stuff as good as hunk of worm. I know of a local lake that has some real dandies swimming around (12-14 inches). In the summer I can find them in about 8-10 feet of open water, done pretty good using a piece of worm. Kinda feel like I should be fly fishing for them.

2. I have had them hit as big as size 6 woolley in several colors. But bright ass yellow with a red bead will kill em size 8-12

3. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Have done well with small woolly buggers, leeches, etc. in blacks, olives, etc. Also smallish streamers either baitfish type or brighter attractor patterns can be really effective. I usually fish them on a slow full sinking line or 24 foot tip. Once a school has been found chironomids can also be effective; either "hanging" or fished on a slow strip. A slow strip is usually the best hence the slow sinking lines to be able to hold the presentation at a given depth. Though to be fair a floating line with a weight fly can be really effective as well

Perch are spring spawning (right now) and I have had some surprising success with flies this time of year. The trick is trying to find the schools of staging fish. The males will be holding in tight schools in 4 to 6 feet of water with the females a little further off shore in deeper water. You will have to search a lot of the shore line to find those staging schools In a 40 acre lake might have to cover 1/2 of the shoreline to find a school. Those school of males will be really tight; once found every cast in a truck size area will produce a hit while a cast a few feet to either side while go untouched. The good news once you find such a school you can expect them to be holding in the same spot year to year.

Post spawn the fish scatter and fishing can be a spotty until the water warms a bit and the weeds start growing. From mid-summer to early fly expect to find consistent fishing along the edges of the weed beds and flats where a little hump or depression can become a real "hot spot". The fish will be in smallish schools and one may on once a bit dies in one spot. They do not seem to much of a roamer. As the water temperatures start dropping in September the perch will form huge schools and begin moving deeper. With electronics you can spot the schools(look like bait balls one sees in the salt) on the outer edges of flats and long points. Early in the fall they will be in 12 to 18 feet of water with the tops of the schools pushing to within several feet of the surface. As the water temperature drops the schools will get larger and move deeper. By mid-October if the lake is deep enough they will be out in 40 to 60 feet of water and effectively out of the reach of most fly anglers until the next spring.

Yellow perch make a great fly fish the bite readily with a nice solid take and for those that enjoy a fish meal now and then they are both abundant in most lakes and really tasty. If one is new to the fly game it might be wise to use non-fly gear to locate the fish before getting out the long rod.

Have fun.

Curt

cuponoodle breakfast and McNasty like this.
  4. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    caught my first perch of the year, a fat 11"er two days ago on a purple mini leech under an indicator.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Adam

Adam Fishin' Fool

6. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Well thanks and as always a lot of useful information from Curt. I'll be tying mini leeches in purple, yellow and black. Some clousers. And that crappie candy too from that link to another forum thread. I can get by with a floating line and one of my six wgts, the lake is only some 20 feet deep at most. Cast out with an indicator and strip in slow giving the fly a jigging action close to the bottom. Should work. Something to do in the summer while I wait for evening for the bass to move into the shallows. Perch are really good eating, and along with some hushpuppies.