perfection loop question?!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jpfish, May 15, 2013.

1. Jpfish

Jpfish Member

I just looked up a video of how to tie a perfection loop and attach it to the end of my fly line so i can use a loop to loop connection with a leader. so my question is should i attach mono or braided line? and what pound test should i use. Im attaching this to my 3wt line

thank for any help you can offer

2. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    If your talking running line then white (15) chartreuse (20) pound bradded. If your talking making a loop on the end of your line then 30 pound mono.

3. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ok so you are trying to put a loop on the end of your fly line because it didn't come with a loop correct? I buy the pre-made braided loops and attach them on or you can just tie a perfection loop in the tip of your fly line and take a dap of superglue to the knot. No need for trying to nail knot on a mono loop. I suggest practicing the perfection loop first before tying it on your line. Both of these options are much better in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I solved my problem with tying knots. Since I suck at knot tying, I just go to the closest fly shop and ask them to tie me on a piece of leader. Problem solved. I then do a loop on the end and I'm good to go.

5. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I like making a loop with the end of the fly line and nail knotting around it (twice) with 8# or 10# mono. Then coat the knot with pliobond.

6. Thomas Williams

Thats good as well and may slide through the guides better.

7. Steve Unwin

Media:
    Doesn't get you out of tying nail knots though!

I got the idea/method from BlueSky leaders webpage but use a true nail knot instead of the knot they show which is more of a uni-knot.

8. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

.......or you can shit can all of that loop-to-loop nonsense and tie each leader on with a proper nail knot and coat it with UV Knot-Sense or pliobond. It will sail through the guides much smoother with a hell of a lot less stress on them. One place loop-to-loop is particularly bad is when you are landing big fish on a long leader. You can get the fish almost to the net with the loops down among the guides somewhere when the fish makes another big run and it feels like a chain is going through the guides instead of a flyline.

On a 3 weight everything is smaller and more fragile but there is no way to reduce the mass of all the knots and loops that have to go through there. There is a place for those loops ie. shooting heads, etc but it probably isn't on a 3 wt. You don't have to use loops just because the line manufacturer provides them. They are nice for the guys that want them but I always cut them off when I install the line.

Ive

9. Steve Unwin

Media:
    i prefer furled leaders and a nail knot wouldn't be appropriate for attaching it, loop to loop is really the only good way. But it did occur to me that loop to loop on a 3wt might be a little bulky or unnecessary.

10. Jpfish

Jpfish Member

thank you for all the tips. much appreciated

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I nail knot about 3 inches of 30# Maxima to every fly line I own and have been doing so for years. I have had no problems with the line going thru the guides. Yes, the knots bump a bit on the guides but it isn't like driving over railroad tracks in a go cart. Some don't like the annoyance of the knots going thru the guides but it has never bothered me. On a three I might drop the 30 down to 20.

12. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Using a short mono tag on the end of your line (nail knot+ perfection loop) is fine for heavier line's 5wt and up, I use 25lb mono but usually just on sinking lines. I personally wouldn't use it on a 3wt or even a 4wt floating line because presentation is usually more important with lighter lines and dry flies, nail knots are better for this and are easy to tie if one practices it. I use pieces of plastic Q-tips but the nail knot tools do work well. Once you get the knot down it really is fast and easy to tie.

13. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Media:
    I have done this for years on my lines that dont have an end loop; works great. I even do it on my 1wt. On the 3 wt, I used 25# mono (I just happened to replace that line with a Rio line that has an end loop already). That connection outlived the line. I have never used any glue on the knot and have never lost a leader to this connection. As KerryS said, I have never had a problem with the connection going through the guides either. You know when it is happening, but it isn't a big deal and has never cost me a fish. I catch fish with this type of setup too, so I don't think the connection at the leader is a problem regarding presentation. I would think if your fly is that close to the end of the fly line, the fly line would be the presentation problem before the connection would.

DKL

14. Preston

Preston Active Member

DKL has summed it up quite well. I've used a short leader butt of monofilament for years; long before built in loops were offered by manufacturers. A needle nail knot, where the end of the monofilament is inserted into the end of the flyline and out through its side before tying the nail knot makes an even more compact attachment. I've never used any kind of glue or other material to secure or smooth my knots and have never found this to be a hindrance to passing the knot through the guides.

15. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    I'm a big fan of perfection loop-to-loop connections, but I'd think twice about tying one in my fly line. Why? The thicker diameter of the tip of your fly line will make the actual knot pretty bulky and prone to getting hung up in the guides as it goes in and out.

I use the same solution as Kerry above tying on a short butt section of mono to the end of the fly line and then tying the perfection loop in it. The key is to make sure that the mono isn't stiffer than the tip of your fly line. If it is, then it increases the chances of 'hinging' at that point when you cast. The end of your line, the short mono butt section and the big end of your leader should all be about the same stiffness.

K

shotgunner likes this.
  16. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

Media:
    Just to clarify; ditto to what Kent and Preston said. I tie the mono to the end of the fly line with a nail knot and then tie a perfection loop. I definitely wouldn't recommend tying a perfection loop directly onto the end of the fly line.

DKL

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Thomas Williams

I can make the knot smaller in my fly line than I can with 30 or even 20lb mono. A fly line will stretch a bit. However in no way do I disagree with any of the above methods. In fact considering it is a 3wt I would go with nail knotting level butt section of your leader dierectly to the line and then using aquaseal or clear goo etc to smooth the connection.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  18. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Line-working wizards like Dave Whitlock or Dr. Way Yin do the ultimate in smoothness: insert an inch or so of super glue-coated mono into the tip of a fly line. It's strong enough for the fish you catch on a light-line rod, and goes through the guides like a ghost. That's advanced craft, too much to explain here, but it's not really neurosurgery.

Almost as smooth is a centered nail knot, or a small diameter braided loop without the heat-shrink tubing. Instead, serve the start of the braided line with tying thread wraps from a tying bobbin, whirled around for a half-inch of consecutive wraps. Then coat the thread wraps with glue. I use six coats of nail hardener; each coat dries in a few minutes.