PFD's

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Stonefish, May 21, 2013.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    This was posted in the yesterday on another local fishing board. This took place on Lake Ballinger.
    Things can happen while out on the water. Good job on the rescue and luckily everyone made it home safely.
    I know I slack off and don't wear my PFD every time I'm on the water. This is a good reminder if you have a PFD, wear it and wear it correctly.

dryflylarry and Tom Bowden like this.
  2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

It makes you think, doesn't it...

Thanks for posting.

3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Thanks for posting. Every time I am tempted to not wear mine or to wear it loosely, I think of situations like this and I 'buckle up'.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

One advantage of using an inflatable PFD fishing vest. I'm automatically wearing a PFD each time I put on my vest.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Since October 2011 I've seen two boats founder and in both cases the anchor line caused additional problems.

6. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

My NRS PFD/vest is my only fishing vest. That way I'm always protected. The NRS is a bit bulky with only fair storage, but it does the trick. And, for kayak fishermen, the lower part of the back is mesh so it doen't interfere with the backrest. Only thing I'd like to add to it is a crotch strap.

Inflatables are nice, but you run the risk of not being able to inflate it in an emergency. Think of a fall and head-strike on either a rock in a river or the gunwale of a boat. Unless it's an autoinflator, I don't think it would be a CG approved PFD anyway.

Krusty likes this.
  7. martyg

martyg Active Member

The guy in the kayak was being stupid and the guy in the boat didn't know how to deal with a rescue situation, although I applaud him for being involved.

Another factor and why I am not a fan of inflatable PFDs... A full on type III or V PFD will protect your torso in a fall or if you are being trounced on a river or in the surf. A full on PFD also brings an element of warmth that an inflatable will not match.

An inflatable is a great idea in benign situations when rescue is quick. However when the hammer comes down I want to be swaddled in closed cell foam.

8. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    Several years ago, I capsized my kayak off Dash Point. I was bending over the side to release a pink salmon when waves hit me from a passing container ship. I was wearing waders, and after they filled with water, I was unable to get back on the kayak. Fortunately, I was close to shore, wearing a PFD, and two guys in a boat helped me get in and recover most of my gear.

In addition to a PFD, I wear a wet suit when fishing from the kayak, unless the weather is hot and I'm staying close to shore. It's a lot easier to get back on the boat, and the wet suit will keep your body warm if you end up in the water for a long time. I wear a pair of old breathable wader legs, cut off just below the knee, under the wet suit so I can wade.

Tom

9. Jim Paget

Jim Paget Active Member

I had the experience of following out of a canoe at Pass Lake in early April. I have been canoeing since I was about 12. I was wearing a fly vest/PFD, a manual model. I have raced sailboats to Hawaii three times. I am compulsive about water safety. Guess what!! In my concern with the canoe and my gear, I forgot to inflate the PFD until other boats arrived to rescue me. I am not convinced that an automatic model would have done any good. My best buddy fell off his sailboat while wear a Sospender PFD with an auto-inflator. It didn't inflate.

I would urge all of you that use an inflating PFD to PRACTICE the procedure for inflating the vest. Also, make sure that you can instinctively find the inflator. Carry a spare CO2 cartridge in your gear bag. You don't want to ruin a trip because you had to use the vest the first day.

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

When fly anglers were first starting to use pontoon boats on rivers (I still avoid it) one of the members of the local fly club was in a class floating down the Willamette. He became tangled in shoreline bushes he failed to avoid and the hard shell pontoon boat flipped and tossed him into the river.

They found him unconscious on a gravel bar downstream from where he flipped. He was wearing an auto deploy PFD. When he woke up in the hospital, he didn't remember a thing. The auto inflate PFD saved his life.

My Sterns is not auto inflate but if the CO2 manual inflater fails, there is a tube for inflating with good old lung air. I've tried it and I can manually inflate it with the air tube pretty damned quickly.

Wearing a PFD is really one of those things that I regard as a personal decision and unless you a family member, do as you'd like. I feel the same about motorcycle helmets and I'd wear one even if it wasn't required by law.

If you're on the water and assume you can never fall in and do, well... you knew the job was dangerous before you took it.

As Gin says "thin out the herd"...

11. martyg

martyg Active Member

The downside of that is if you are involved with a rescue as either fellow adventurer or as a rescue professional. If people are OK with dying because they made a stupid decision on equipment than I am OK with it too. Based on my experience if someone is in a bad spot and within about a minute and a half of passing out or dying they will be crying for mommy, and if I am the hand that saves them I will figure much more prominently than their mother.

My biggest day was 22 hours in an H3 in Typhoon generated storm in the PI, picking up people in the South China Sea from a Philippine ferry boat that went down. We rescued about 30 of the 160 on board. The fish got the rest.

Bob Triggs likes this.
  12. martyg

martyg Active Member

My bad - wrong keystroke.

13. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Staged, kept adjusting his camera

14. Fishinbeatsworkin

Fishinbeatsworkin Member

I thought the same thing when I first saw the video but not being a regular poster I didn't say anything.
    My first reaction to the video was "If the guy is in danger, why are you wasting valuable time adjusting your camera instead of trying to save him?"

Are there any 3rd party verifications on this incident?

15. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

I've seen his posts on another site. I don't think it's staged at all

16. Krusty

Krusty Active Member

My NRS kayak fishing vest is my PFD. I wear it on all but the smallest lakes on the warmest summer days.

While I have no idea if this vid was staged or not, it does illustrate several things...

.......A half-assed, improperly worn, PFD does a pathetic job of keeping you afloat.

........Don't depend upon people for help; they may not be willing, able, or even available.

........A small recreational sit-in-side kayak is a dicey fishing craft, and an ungainly beast when swamped. A sit-on-top provides a significantly better margin of safety. With a SOT, in the unlikely event you unexpectedly exit the craft, your main issue will be crawling back on board a high and dry kayak before hypothermia renders you too weak to do so.

17. oneshotjonny

oneshotjonny New Member

This is my video and that was me trying to help the man.

While you guys can criticize MY rescue abilities all you want, I assure you I did not stage this video. that's a ridiculous accusation.

The camera was already mounted on my boat on a tripod, and if you watched close enough, the times when I adjusted the camera I couldn't do a whole lot or I had a free hand while all I could do was hold the man who was not cooperating well, took all of a second or two to turn the camera.. I have a Video Production thing, (www.oneshotproduction.net) its always in my mind to center the camera, sorry.. I also understand there needs to be one or a few armchair critics in every bunch to keep things spicy. so be it.. but, this was as LEGIT a rescue as any.. and I learned quite a few things from this, so I'm not looking for more of your critiquing.

There were plenty of people at the lake watching this happen as well as the Mountlake Terrace fire, police and paramedics to confirm the incident for you non believers.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/...erturned-kayaker-208586501.html?tab=video&c=y

18. Fishinbeatsworkin

Fishinbeatsworkin Member

Fair enough. It was legit

19. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    I see no reason for criticism. And I hope the comment about it being staged was a bit of Internet sarcasm.

As far as I'm concerned, you saved that man's life and I commend you for that.

Richard Torres likes this.
  20. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:

With facts that were there, especially some of us who have training doing water rescues, it did seem staged. Look at it from an outsiders perspective. It may seem ridiculous to you to be accused of staging, but it seemed ridiculous to a lot of us for you to readjust your camera (even being a photo fanatic). I did a water rescue a couple years back on the Yakima. I'm a total boat fanatic, but my boat was out of position to go back (drift boat), so had to abandon my boat, cinch up my swiftwater PFD, grab my throw rope, and hit the water. As much as I loved my driftboat, I didn't look back to see what happened to it until I had the boaters out of the water and their boat rescued. Thankfully, I had put enough anchor line out and put rope in cleat. Didn't think about it until I was done with rescue/recovery and had boat righted and floating again. Didn't want to waste any time when there were people in a sweeper pinned in a boat. So hopefully you can see what some may have wondered when you kept readjusting camera. I'd have been focused completely on the guy and getting my boat in to the closest part of shore that was beachable (not just a dock or launch). So I'm far from an "armchair critic". I just didn't post anything up about it. I was thinking same thing though, since like Martyg, I put my time doing rescues (just not as extreme as him lol).