Pheasant Tail Parachute

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Patagonguy, May 29, 2013.

1. Patagonguy Active Member

Argentina
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    PT Parachute WFF2.jpg

Hook: Regular dry fly
    Thread: Black 8/0
    Tail, abdomen: Pheasant tail fibers
    Rib: 2 Peacock Green Krystal Flash strands, twisted
    Thorax: Peacock herl
    Parachute: Brown hackle
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,150 / 0
    Dang! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that one before. What a great idea for a pattern, I love it and plan to tie up some of the suckers.! Pheasant tail fibers and peacock herl are always good additions to a fly pattern and work quite well together. It's a natural for a parachute pattern.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  3. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +80 / 0
    What GAT said. I'm always telling folks that Peacock Herl and PT fibers have magical trout attracting properties. Why didn't I think of this one.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  4. Patagonguy Active Member

Argentina
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    Yes, guys I thought the same...a PT nymph is a killer everywhere. And I can say that this parachute PT is also one! Several things I prefer with parachutes...first, can stay in a correct position on the surface film (classic Catskill-style flies lose the vertical with a breeze) , second, more visibility (post), third, in my opinion the legs and antennae are imitated better, with horizontal hackles (check a mayfly from underwater) and fourth, can stay all-day long floating (it seems that the support of the horizontal hackle is higher than with classics). Just my experience and opinion, not a rule for everyone. Regards and good fishing!
  5. Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Outer Duvall
    Ratings: +215 / 1
    I have no doubt that this will be an attractive pattern for trout everywhere. In particular I like the idea of the twisted flash rib.

TC
    Patagonguy likes this.
  6. Bert Registered Potamophile

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +38 / 0
    True dat! I have fished something similar. It really wants to sink so you might over-hackle a few of them and grease them up.
    Patagonguy likes this.
  7. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +288 / 1
    thats very nice, never though of that. think ill tie some up, and maby a few with a loopwing post and wire rib fished in the film. . .
    Patagonguy likes this.
  8. coastal cutthroat Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I second what everyone has said. Now that you've shown us, it is such a simple idea. Thanks.
    Jeff Dodd and Patagonguy like this.
  9. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    Up at Leech a couple weeks ago, the fish were feeding on the surface. I got no love until I found one of these deep down in my fly box. It had a foam post on it. Thought it made a good emerger pattern.

Wayne
  10. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    In my experience they works best using gust 3 pt fibers for the abdomen. Use the lightest wire there is or mono for reinforcement. It makes a lighter but still very effective fly. If you like this pattern tie up some grhe as dries. Both "old" nymph patterns make great dries.
    Gary Knowels and Thom Collins like this.