Pickup truck disappointment

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Mar 17, 2013.

1. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +246 / 0
    I appreciate the skills that some of you have with restoring older vehicles; I have neither the skills nor the time. But what I read in Ive's post in an indictment of the car industry in the U.S. Based on the multiple replies, there is a market for a smaller truck, which has good mileage, and doesn't bust the bank. And here I thought in a consumer culture, retailers would be eager to provide something that a segment of the American market wants. And to satisfy that market they could either a) import some of the vehicles that they already manufacturer in other countries or b) upgrade some of their classic models that fit this niche. Hmmm, perhaps my understanding of capitalism is not as deep as I thought.....

Steve
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,733 / 0
    I can remember now that in my early 30's when you bought a car/truck. You could work on it when it needed a tuneup or replacing a muffler or a "U" joint. Now a day's with these new cars you need almost a college degree to work on one.

I lift the hood on these newer cars and just shake my head and close it up. I am lost if I need something fixed. To many sensors for one to figure out with out a computer to help. The auto shops get my business now.
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  3. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,116 / 0
    Jerry, I am kinda in the same place as you-I custom ordered my '94 Ram and have put 135,000 miles on it since. But unlike yours nothing needs rebuilding or repair since it is still in excellent condition except for aging paint. I also had a canopy custom built for it which is 6'' higher than the cab and is outfitted with a full camping package that is very comfortable. It still delivers mileage within the 13-17 range on the window sticker and has never used oil thanks to a steady diet of Mobil 1 since it was new. I'll probably take it on my grand tour of Montana streams this year and have few qualms about it's dependability. In 19 years it has used a fuel pump and a starter.

But it is 2WD and as such it spends about 4 months of every year in the barn while the Explorer and van get the winter duty. The combined age of the truck and Explorer is 32 years and I would just like to get rid of both and replace them with an economical new AWD/4WD truck and have 2 brand new rigs. I drove the new Nissan Frontier and liked it's simplicity but 4WD can only be had with the V-6 and that gets less mileage than a new full sized Ram or Ford V-6. Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement there. And when they do make mileage improvements like everyone is advertising right now, all too often they are just gaming the EPA test and actual mileage bears little resemblance to the EPA numbers.

Another trick that is being employed to scam people regarding gas mileage is the mileage readout on the onboard computer. Almost all new cars have this feature and lazy journalist that regularly report on cars have resorted to using this figure as gospel when quoting gas mileage numbers. In most cases those things are wildly optomistic and your actual mileage when hand recorded from the odometer and gas pump will vary considerably and will almost always be lower. On my new van the computer readout is rarely within 2mpg of the actual mileage. Do the math for a month or two and you'll see what I mean.

Finally, the new Global Ranger is one of the most awarded trucks on the planet and would be an excellent rig with a 2.5L turbo diesel. But it's introduction into this country would put a serious dent in the sales of the bloated F-150's. Just as Ram has announced the new 1500 with a 3.0L Turbo Diesel coming this summer, someone will also jump into the void created by the loss of the smaller trucks. Whoever gets there first will run the table for awhile until the others catch up. I just hope it isn't the Chinese.

Ive
    Stew McLeod and Jim Wallace like this.
  4. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1

Pretty much the perfect small pick up. The Generation before was great too, but the I always had issues with the sit on the floor seating position.

I've owned two rangers and an s10. All were decent, but I bought all three because I couldn't afford a Tacoma. My 4cyl ranger was dangerously slow, but I loved the 28mpg.
  5. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +792 / 0
    Gene, I hear ya about turning trucks interiors into cars. In 2008, I traded in my 1993 Toyota 4WD pickup with ca. 225,000 miles on it for a new 2008 model. Gosh, it's comfy to drive, but the whole thing is bigger and it's all in the cab; the bed is actually a couple inches shorter than my '93 was. For what it's worth, my '93 had a 4 cylinder engine and my new one has the V6; they both get about the same mileage.

D
  6. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +535 / 0
    Had a 93 Ford Ranger xtended cab, V-6 Manual, 20 in city 25-27 on Hwy. Bought used with 40,000. Had very little trouble with it, a hose here and there broke down after 100,000 but no major $$$ problems. Loved it.... it was ok with first child but when the second came it was bye bye time. Pre-no kids and dating the now wife I had a 71 3/4 ton GMC V-8 350 Gas guzzler (10-12 in city and 15-16 on Hwy). I could sit on the edge of the fender, place my feet at each end of engine and work on it, everything was simple, even changing the oil and access to sparkplugs, starter, etc w/o a thousand wires in your way. That baby was a tough dude but also demanded some TLC @ times. Hated changing the brakes on that, and buying tires...:eek: ouch!

I hate lifting the hoods on our cars now.....Cant do much with them, seems like you have to remove four parts and disconnect 30 wires to get to the part that needs replacing.....plus you might need that frickin special tool too:mad:
  7. weiliwen Active Member

Chicago Illinois
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    I'm even more old-school, but I've owned a series of Datsun 620 pickups, from the late '70's. Datsun/Nissan, up through about 1990, was the perfect size for me. My '78 had skinny tires, which actually worked great in the snow (if I had a couple bags of sand in back), because they seemed to dig through to the road surface better than wider tires. I could fix anything on the truck, including rebuilding the engine, because there were essentially no electronics on it. And it was actually pretty quick, able to keep up with the boy racers and able to chirp the tires in 2nd gear. Ah, those were the days.
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  8. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +379 / 0
    I still miss my '83 Nissan 4x4. Bought it brand new. It was standard cab with a full 8' bed and a Brahma canopy. It was a pretty anemic 4-cylinder but got good gas mileage and I could sleep in the back with lots of room. It made lots of trips into the mountains as I was really into climbing during those years. Drove that sucker until 1997 when I bought a '95 V6 Nissan 4x4 with 29K on it.

I'm still drivin' the '95. It's an extended cab (which means you can throw a few bags of groceries back there but not much else) and a 6' bed. Even with the shorter bed it's comfortable for sleeping under the cap as I'm only 5'10". With currently 126K on this rig is still looks like new and runs the same. I do get some sh** from friends who own Duramax and Cummins about owning a Japanese truck (although it was assembled in Smyrna, Tennessee) but they get a bit quieter when I ask them about maintenance costs.

I've occasionally gotten a wild hair to get a new truck such as a Silverado or Ford but then I look at the prices and think "Why the hell would I want to reduce the national debt by 10% by buying this rig???" :eek:

My truck has been long tricked out just as I like and it's been long paid for. It gets me from here to there and back again and runs well. I might just keep it until it rusts into the ground! :)
  9. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +402 / 0
    I will be be helping a friend sell his 1969(?) F100 4x4 here soon. Cheap and pretty ugly but in great mechanical condition. More of a local dump run or stump pulling truck, but for under 2k, it leaves lots of $ for improvements!
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  10. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    Ford sport trac. Win.
  11. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +614 / 0
    Old trucks are fine, but who has the time to dick around dealing with mechanics or attempting major repairs/renovations? I've had plenty of old vehicles in my day. Breaking down in the woods or along the interstate is a highly over-rated experience, no matter how much money you supposedly save by driving some pile o'shit that you're always 'gonna fix'. Hell, I've even wasted my own precious time trying to help a few stranded sportsmen get some heap going that shoudn't a been driven to the grocery store, let alone to the middle a nowhere.

I got fish to catch, not tow trucks to wait for. Do everyone a favor...fork over the cash for a dependable vehicle...or stay outta the woods.
    Lugan likes this.
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +701 / 5
    Actually, I'm doing preventative rebuilds. Just slowly going through pieces I know will falter here shortly. I won't lie, body is not perfect. It was up until my daughter started showing horses in 4H. Rude asses hit my truck in more places and NEVER left notes. So have quite a few dings, big dent in bumper, etc. But running carriage, engine, etc are all great. Just going through and taking care of some things that I know are about do (like some front end pieces, redid U Joints, etc). Eventually will add Air Bags (I've always wanted them) and a few other things to mine I've always wanted. I think by time I'm done will have about $3,000 in work done to my truck and will be mechanically sound. Not bad since I paid $21k for it back in 95'. I don't count the money I put into (like new tires, tune ups, oil changes, etc) that have to be done periodically. But since 95', outside of the periodic work, I've put about $500 in repairs. Which isn't bad. But want to replace that bumper, fix the big dent behind passenger door (looks like someone's horse trailer hit it), and a few other cosmetic things.
  13. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I still rue the day when my '72 Datsun 620 (with the 1600 engine) succumbed to the constant onslaught of entropy. It really looked cool at the beach parking lot. It had a canopy with animal decals on it, and custom fabbed stainless steel bar racks, with truck heater hose over the bars that rolled when you loaded something heavy on 'em. It was a helluva good truck in its heyday. I surfaried and camped in it. Started my lawn care service with it. Scared off dates by showing up in it.

My brother owned it before me, but he drove it back from the dry side one day and it overheated and blew its head gasket. Radiator vanes were a bit rusted out. He told me that if I got it running, that I could have it! I changed the head gasket, installed a rebuilt radiator and new hoses, and tuned it up and drove it home, out to the beach. It was only 20 years old then.
    When it was finally crumbling, I gave it to a friend who tried to keep it going, but ended up getting pulled over drunk in it, and had his licence suspended. Tch tch. Last time I saw it, it was getting overgrown with Himalayan blackberries, and I thought about hacking my way in and taking those really great racks that were on the canopy, but never did. Probably still there, under that jungle of brambles.....:confused:

Now I'm reduced to an "04 Forester with roof racks and a trailer hitch, and find myself owning 3 different trailers! (utility, canoe, and EZ-loader for my 16'er).
  14. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    While I kinda agree with your opinion, some old "piles of shit" are kinda fun. Here's mine (Disclaimer: not my "drive-to-fish" vehicle!) 20100415_0002.JPG
  15. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Watch-u talkin about willis?
  16. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    ?

Sorry bud, didn't understand your post.

I enjoy my old Camaro just like I enjoy fishing! I'm an old retired fart and entitled to my hobbies! :D
  17. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Nice car. I meant was yours? or is yours? What engine ....? twin 600-cfm Holleys on a cross-ram manifold?
  18. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    I like stories like this. Nothing like those "old rides!" :cool:

BTW Jim, if I were you I'd go spelunking for this rig!!
  19. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Oh, OK. Misread your intent. Sorry! Mea culpa!

Yes, it's still in my garage. Owned it since 1974.

Cross-ram? I wish!!!:)

It's all-original outside of headers and 2 1/2 inch pipes w/Flow Masters and some engine chrome (well...and new paint!). The original DZ302 which has never been touched mechanically (73K on it!). No cross-ram but the original Winters hi-rise manifold with the Holley 3310. When I drive this car all my past teen-aged testosterone starts to flow again and I think all those hard-bodied teen and twenty-year-old girls are ogling this 61-year-old guy!!!

Yeah, right! :D
    Chris Johnson likes this.
  20. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +88 / 1
    I've had similar mental rants like the original post. Pisses me off Ford won't bring the global Ranger to the US