Pickup truck disappointment

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by IveofIone, Mar 17, 2013.

1. sweetlou Member

La Quinta, California
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    How you guys can get from "pickup truck disappointment" to water quality is well, ridiculous. I drive an old 1972 F250 390V8 which I really enjoy. Not a disappointment when it is all original and that big block purs down the road. Just saying
    yellowlab likes this.
  2. Dr Bob Member

Woodinville, WA
    I haven't read all the comments here, i managed to get thru about 3 pages, but after looking at photos of the mentioned Ranger T6, have you considered a Honda Ridgeline?? It looks alot like one fo the Range configurations, can haul the basics you mentioned and has a 6 cylinder engine. I have not check all the specs, but it might be worth consideration.

Dr Bob
  3. SpokaneFisherman Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    I can't wait to see Ive's reaction to this one. Oh wait here it is:

Or how bout this one:

4. olypenjeeper Active Member

Astoria Oregon
    Ratings: +26 / 0
  5. Idaho Mike Member

Boise, Idaho
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    My 99 Tacoma is doing very well at 191K and counting. From what I (and others like you) see in the new truck market place now... I pray it last another 191+. Having this same discussion with a buddy of mine, he sent me this link regarding the talk of the F-100 coming back. Thought I would pass it along:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/03/01/return-ford-f-100/

What's the most disappointing to me is that the new Tacoma doesn't have any better gas mileage than what I'm getting out of mine now.
  6. Dr Bob Member

Woodinville, WA
    Sorry Ive's, I was not intentional trying to raise your blood pressure on this one.

Dr Bob
    Mark Yoshida likes this.
  7. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Just read the 2014 Dodge Ram will have an optional 3.0 diesel:
    http://www.automobilesreview.com/auto-news/clean-diesel-power-dodge-ram-ecodiesel/60523/
    This appears to be the same diesel developed by Fiat/VW that Ive mentioned early in this thread. I think at 420 ft/lbs torque it'll be able to tow in the neighborhood of 7-8000 lbs, which would make it a possible candidate to replace my 04 GMC Z71 in a few years, once I'm confident it's not another Detroit turkey that they've tested on the consumer like the infamous Ford 6.0 and earlier GMC 350 of the 1980's. Now let's see if you can get one for less than $35-40K. Rated at 21 mpg city/30 hwy.
  8. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Never give up the dream Bro, never.
  9. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    I bought a 1983 Ranger last year for 1k, it has a 7' bed dual tanks and a 2.2 liter perkins in it and a manual tranny. Comming back from the O.P. two weeks ago I got 27 mpg ( can get 30 if I'm real careful). The only drawback is it is 2wd. I looked for months for a decent used small pu for dump runs and garden hauling, but everyting I looked at was a piece of shit and had 250k or they wanted 4k for it, I didn't want to spend more than 2k. So one day I said "screw it, I'm just gonna get a full sized truck". I had a list of 10 truck, and for some reason I called the one on the bottom, no one home so I left a message. 2 Hrs later this old guy calls me and says " so you want to buy my truck eh", I say "yes". He says " where did you see It" I say "craigs list" then he says "that's funny, I didn't post it on craigs list" . So he starts to tell me about the truck and it is obviously not the truck I called about, its the afore mentioned Ranger. So I set up a time to see it the next day. I hung up the phone and looked at my cell for the # I just called, 398- ++++, I looked at the paper and the # I ment to dial was 389- ++++. So in the back of my mind is running this narative of, holy shit, it's fate man, it was ment to be! I telling myself, use your head Chris, look this thing over good, but I can't help it. So I get there and the old guy invites me in for some coffee and to meet his wife, sweet old couple, and I tell him what happened with the phone # and he says " ya I thought that was kind of funny, I been thinkin of sellin this truck but I haven't listed it yet". So we go for a test drive, runs great and is in good shape, needs a heater core but that is no big deal. Back at the house I say so you want $ 1,000 for it? Yes he says, " and I don't mind tellin ya, I'm pretty firm on that price". So I said " well I guess you got me, I'll take it". The old guy called me a couple months ago, he had found the tire chains for it and wanted me to have them, funny how thing work out, maybe it was ment to be.
    Dipnet and Robert Engleheart like this.
  10. Greg Armstrong Active Member

Pugetropolis
    Ratings: +342 / 0
    Great story Chris!
    That is a rare truck with that little Perkins in there - they're hard to find even when you're trying!!!
  11. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,064 / 0
    Robert, the chances of ever seeing a Ram 1500 diesel under $35K are extremely slim. The engine is a $4,500 option in the new Grand Cherokee and is almost certain to cost as much in the Ram. With 4X's starting at around $30K adding the diesel and picking almost anything from the option list and adding tax and license, the going rate will probably be closer to $40K. That $4,500 will buy enough gas for almost 25,000 miles in the gas engined models and the diesel will have to be driven about 30,000 miles before you save the first penny on fuel. Clearly the guy that drives 15,000 miles a year and keeps his rig at least 10 years will profit from owning the diesel but the posers who buy the diesel to put more ass in their pants and use it for a commuter car will take a sound financial thrashing.

I'm glad they are building it for the guys that need it but it still doesn't fill the need for a smaller thrifty and affordable truck.
  12. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Ive, Spot on as usual but I am one of those who keeps a vehicle 10 or more years. I hope to get another 80K out of my GMC, but looking at the Dodge diesel for the future when one may hopefully find a decent used one that's been properly maintained and the power train has been vetted. I need something that will tow up to 6000 lbs and to boost mileage from 10-12 towing to 15-20 would be good if I'm already replacing the vehicle and the premium isn't too high.
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    When gas finally hits $6.00 a gallon, I wonder how many of us will no longer "need" the features and capabilities we now think are so essential?

K
  14. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.

I think 83 was the first year ford made the Ranger and the diesel was an option, it's the first one I've ever seen. A treasured memory for sure
  15. JayB Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    I'm not sure how interested anyone riffing on the corporate-greed/consumer-stupidity theme is in this information, but the reason why no one sells a compact truck with a diesel engine in the US has more to do with fuel taxes and our emissions standards than greedy corporations or stupid consumers.

In Europe they tax gasoline much more heavily than diesel, so the payback period for diesel vehicles is much shorter. The lower fuel price and higher fuel economy make the payoff period for the extra expense associated with purchasing a diesel engine much faster, and the lower cost of ownership drives demand for diesel vehicles in a way that would be difficult to replicate here unless we also started taxing gas way more heavily than diesel.

Euro regulators also decided that higher fuel economy was more important than low particulate and nitrate emissions, so and their standards for both are considerably more lax than ours. Getting a Euro diesel engine into compliance with US emissions standards is expensive. Add the extra cost of the ECU technology to the extra cost of a diesel engine and you've got a rig that will take many years worth of driving to hit the break-even point for most consumers, thus you've got a vehicle that won't sell enough units to justify the cost of adapting them to the US market, thus....you've got no HiLux in the US.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/alternative-fuel/diesel/4330313

Also - have to agree with KerryS. Gas is cheap relative to the cost of acquiring new vehicle (even a used model) simply for the sake of better mileage. When you add in taxes, fees, and interest (and normally higher insurance premiums as well) and you do the math you almost always find that it'll take a long, long time for the money you've saved in reduced fuel costs to equal all of the extra money you shelled out to buy a new rig.
    Kent Lufkin and Chris Johnson like this.
  16. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Interesting stuff JayB
  17. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +182 / 0
    [quote="JayB, post: 819819, member:

Also - have to agree with KerryS. Gas is cheap relative to the cost of acquiring new vehicle (even a used model) simply for the sake of better mileage. When you add in taxes, fees, and interest (and normally higher insurance premiums as well) and you do the math you almost always find that it'll take a long, long time for the money you've saved in reduced fuel costs to equal all of the extra money you shelled out to buy a new rig.[/quote]

True even if you factor in the cost of maintenance and repairs - anything short of an engine or transmission-on an older vehicle.
  18. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    I bought a diesel Ranger in 1986 and it was a real dog!. I owned it for 3 1/2 years and it spent 26 weeks of that in the shop. I don't think the little diesels are made to handle high pressures and heavy loads. Maybe there's been lots of improvements in the past 26 years. Hmmmm 26 years.... 26 weeks... Sorta like 666. Maybe the number 26 is the new "mark of the beast".
  19. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    That's a bummer, so far I've had no trouble with mine. I think your right though about the heavy loads.
  20. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    I've had a diesel 1 ton the last 7 years and haven't found anything it can't tow/carry.