Pilchuck River-----Nets????????????

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

What do I know---I'm just an old man

I was out exploring this morning and I ended on the Pilchuck river down where that bridge crosses it a Locksloy. There were a couple of Government trucks there and they were netting the river. Not dip netting but a net strung all the way accross. Does anybody know what they are up to as I think it's too earily to do samples on native steelhead. :DUNNO

Jim

2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Could be just about anything. They sample forage fish like sculpins and lamprey as well as sportfish.

3. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Try calling the regional WDFW office in Mill Creek. If they don't know about it, I'm sure they'd like to!

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Just called them,and they told me that they had several other calls on this but it wasn't them doing it. So they are checking into it to try and determine who it is doing it. So,just to satisfiy myself I will call Monday morn to find out what it was or who and why.

Jim

5. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Well, since you saw that they were government trucks, did you happen to see what government? My guess would be Snohomish County, if the WDFW wasn't up to it.

Rob
    ---------
    Genetic pollution damages wild
    stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

They were just regular vehicles with Government license plates on them and no markings on the trucks. I'll find out Monday when I call about it.

Jim

7. Rob Blomquist

Likely then they were vehicles that are owned by an indian tribe. I don't know which claims the Pilchuck as "usual and customary" but they could have been doing anything from netting for sale, to netting for eggs, or anything else.

Rob
    ---------

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I could see it if they were indians. But the color of these "indians" was far and removed from any indians that I have ever seen. But like I said I will check it out with the Dept.of F & W. on monday as I don't know anything and I ain't going to make any guesses on who it was."nough said.

Jim

9. Rob Blomquist

Indian tribes hire non-Indian fisheries workers. At least the Muckleshoots do.

WDFW, Sno County, Cities and the like are required to tell what jurisdiction and agency they are with. I understand the only unmarked vehicles are likely to be indians tribes.

Rob
    ---------

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Well I contacted the Dept Of F & W today and the answer that I got was that it was the Federal Government doing some kind of sampling on the river. I guess thay have to spend our tax dollars some how.

Jim