Pink Flies

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by golfman44, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,175 / 1
    Personally, I'd fish that pink clouser especially if you are fishing the north sound.
    I've seen lots of pinks fall to buzz bombs, rotators, jigs, clousers etc over the years. The north sound pinks don't seem as picky about your offering size just as long as it has a good jiggy motion. Perhaps the fact they just turned the corner into the sound makes them not as selective as when they move further south.
    Coho also love pink clousers so you can effectively be fishing for two species at the same time in a 2 + 2 year. Besides chartreuse, pink is the second best coho color in my opinion.
    Good luck out there,
    SF
  2. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +293 / 1
    My "go to" fly for coho is a very sparse clouser, pink over a tiny bit of white, done from either buck tail or superhair. Can't wait until September.
  3. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    i like a fine wire hook.
    seems they will just peck it or soft pickup.
  4. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    I've only ever fished for these guys in a river setting, but I've always just swung for them on a sink tip with a heavy marabou pattern of a different color and done exceptionally well. Last run I did have some success with a stripped retrieve, and I'm sure if I stuck with it more I'd have done equally well. Besides the first few humpies I caught on fly, I've never used a pink colored pattern.
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +196 / 0
    I follow Evan's line of fishing, the jig movement with smallish, pink produces well. My other experience: when my fishing buddy was scoring pinks fishing next to me and I wasn't, I just walked over and touched my rod to his (fishing rod for you sex pervs), walked back to my spot and had an immediate hookup.
    dryflylarry and ten80 like this.
  6. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Rub it on your buddy for luck. I get it.:rolleyes:
  7. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    But people sure catch the heck out of them with buzz bombs, so I think the spectrum of flies and line probably will work, if presented in the right way.
  8. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +196 / 0
    My experience with pinks is frequently fly fishers do better with pinks than gear fishers if the fish aren't too far from shore. I believe it is probably due to the fly staying in front of the fish longer on the drop than hardware does.
  9. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Do the math. A gear guy throws his buzz bomb out about a hundred or so feet and then starts yanking it in. Rarely do they hook something on the first or second yank. They average about 8 - 10 feet per by the time they drift down. That's around 16 - 20 feet. You are out about thigh deep, maybe 20 - 30 feet off shore. That means if you cast 70 feet which is easily done by most, you are about 90 feet off shore with your fly. Subtract the 16 - 20 feet off the gear cast and you are in the same vacinity.

My experience is that pinks hug the shoreline, maybe 40 to 80 feet off shore. If you are calm and quiet, you're in the ballgame with a 60 - 70 foot cast.
    Richard Torres likes this.
  10. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    there is a lot to what Steve said. fish do seem to drift in closer when there is less noise commotion going on. i always watch for sea lions. they seem to push them way out of the beach zone.
  11. Caveman Member

N/A
    Ratings: +15 / 0

Was at my honey hole last humpy season and were were catching easy 10 fish per 1 buzz bombers.
  12. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,497 / 2
    Seems like buzz bombs are actually starting to wane in popularity. You're starting to see a lot more guys chucking the big heavy pink jigs now, with a lot more success. Buzz bombs work, no doubt. But the jigs definitely work better, and a properly presented fly better yet.
  13. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    My point about the buzz bombs was only that a wide variety of pink things, fished well, will catch 'em.
  14. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    got some eye's today so will ty up some pink turds in case my modified woollys don't do the job. never fished with turds before but sounds like fun.
    Outlaw
  15. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ya. I have a whole pocket full of those pink jigs; can't wait to drag out my Zebco outfit and hit the pier for some great action!:)
  16. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I think all sorts of variations of crap on a hook will catch pinks

Attached Files:

Brooks Werner and TC like this.
  17. John Weston Member

Ratings: +11 / 0
    fishing from a pier, that's sic. more like kicking ass to get a spot.lol
    Outlaw
  18. P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Seattle.
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    I bet I can't cast a zebco well enough to fish off a pier.
  19. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +220 / 0

Much agreed.
  20. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0

Darker colors? What do you suggest as darker colors when they wont strike pink?
    thanks, Jay