Pocket fish scale?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh Smestad, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I've been thinking about a small scale I can throw in my jacket when out salmon fishing. It would be nice to have a more portable way to weigh my catch. What do you carry or suggest?
  2. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    Imagination.
    dfl and anti.team like this.
  3. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +400 / 0
    Good idea. Lots of folks can't help but to report a 4 pound coho as anything less than a 6 pounder. Berkley sells a line of digital scales that look pretty small.
  4. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    Why ruin exquisite fabrication with reality? Even with a scale, everyone knows your fish-tales are likely full of shit....it goes with the territory.
    dfl, Kent Lufkin and underachiever like this.
  5. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    Personally - I don't think knowing the weight of a fish I catch is much of a big deal. The older I get the less I give a shit. If the bite is on I consider the time spent weighing opportunity lost.
    Krusty and dfl like this.
  6. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    I use the berkley digital scale. Small and accurate.
  7. formerguide Active Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +757 / 0
    I never weighed fish at all until one year, while living in PA, I bought a weigh-net on sale. Nice big net, had a chatillion style scale in the handle. Took it steelheading in the Great Lakes tribs for an entire season, was kind of cool (and easy...) I found that inexperienced anglers almost to a man grossly overestimated the weight of fish, while more seasoned anglers inevitably underestimated weight by a bit.

One thing for certain; a 6lb salmonid of any species is a nice fish. After a season of weighing fish, the novelty quickly wore off, but I think it's a worthwhile endeavor if you're curious about such things like myself.

Dan
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    I've bonked a few coho and steelhead over the years that I've had liked to know the true weight of due to unusual length to girth proportions. Having a small scale would allow me to do so. I'll likely pick one up as well.
    I generally figure 4 lbs for a 24" fish and add a lb per inch of length. That gives me a pretty good estimate.
    Hopefully in the 30 secs that it takes me to weight the fish after the rock or wood shampoo is applied I don't miss a bunch of hits ;)
    SF
  9. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,226 / 0
    +1 I think the same is true of length estimates as well.

K
  10. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +613 / 0
    My wife says I always over-estimate length and girth.