Pocket fish scale?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Josh Smestad, Sep 20, 2013.

1. I've been thinking about a small scale I can throw in my jacket when out salmon fishing. It would be nice to have a more portable way to weigh my catch. What do you carry or suggest?

2. Imagination.

dfl and anti.team like this.
  3. Good idea. Lots of folks can't help but to report a 4 pound coho as anything less than a 6 pounder. Berkley sells a line of digital scales that look pretty small.

4. Why ruin exquisite fabrication with reality? Even with a scale, everyone knows your fish-tales are likely full of shit....it goes with the territory.

dfl, Kent Lufkin and underachiever like this.
  5. Personally - I don't think knowing the weight of a fish I catch is much of a big deal. The older I get the less I give a shit. If the bite is on I consider the time spent weighing opportunity lost.

Krusty and dfl like this.
  6. I use the berkley digital scale. Small and accurate.

7. I never weighed fish at all until one year, while living in PA, I bought a weigh-net on sale. Nice big net, had a chatillion style scale in the handle. Took it steelheading in the Great Lakes tribs for an entire season, was kind of cool (and easy...) I found that inexperienced anglers almost to a man grossly overestimated the weight of fish, while more seasoned anglers inevitably underestimated weight by a bit.

One thing for certain; a 6lb salmonid of any species is a nice fish. After a season of weighing fish, the novelty quickly wore off, but I think it's a worthwhile endeavor if you're curious about such things like myself.

Dan

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  8. I've bonked a few coho and steelhead over the years that I've had liked to know the true weight of due to unusual length to girth proportions. Having a small scale would allow me to do so. I'll likely pick one up as well.
    I generally figure 4 lbs for a 24" fish and add a lb per inch of length. That gives me a pretty good estimate.
    Hopefully in the 30 secs that it takes me to weight the fish after the rock or wood shampoo is applied I don't miss a bunch of hits ;)
    SF

9. +1 I think the same is true of length estimates as well.

K

10. My wife says I always over-estimate length and girth.