Polarized Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jun 17, 2013.

1. shadowcast Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    Just wondering what tint you guys prefer and if there's a brand you recommend. Bought a pair recently that I thought would work, but after several hours found to be uncomfortable in the extreme.
  2. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +437 / 0
    Overall, an amber lens is best. I buy cheap, because I'm always scathing them, breaking, them or losing them.

However, because I buy cheap, I buy two of each kind (amber and grey/smoke lens).
  3. Just.Mark Member

DuPont, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    Maui jim has a yellow like tint made for overcast days that works pretty good. The only thing I have to compare them to is a pair of polarized oakleys that suck in comparison. Even with less of a tint the glare reduction is amazing. To be honest they where on sale and I needed some thing for bonefish other wise I would never of tried them.
  4. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    I had a pair of Smith Optics, guides choice in copper (glass lens)....was absolutely amazing as far as looking into the water....but.......they looked like crap on my fat head, so i sent them back, and had to go with a Costa green lens, glass...much better for my fat head, they work fantastic, but im sure the Smiths were better. if you have a a medium to small head, try out those Smith copper (glass) ya wont be disappointed.
  5. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    My favorites for general use and fishing are Edge Dakura polarized safety glasses that I get online from SafetyGlasses.com for $32.50 a pair. They come in several different tints and don't look bad, either. They have yellow, smoke, copper, blue and mirror polycarbonate lenses and they ARE scratch resistant! After repairing a minor frame crack I recently gave my son my oldest pair purchased in 2006. They had one small mark on one lens, but were otherwise completely useable.
    Make a mistake when pitching a heavy clouser on a big hook and the safety glass version can be priceless!
  6. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +333 / 2
    I have tried many lenses and agree that amber is the best low to medium light color. However the pair I have (from Smith) fit tightly and fog up. I use anti fog but they still fog a bit and honestly, I find the amber to be an obnoxious color. My favorite lenses are Maui Jim's rose however I now find glass lenses too heavy and they often slide down my nose. Now for general use I've been using some of the $50 (@REI) Sunclouds or another brand too. I just look for the lightest color lens and they are very comfortable. They are acrylic but don't seem to scratch as much as plastics used to. I have often thought though that for low light conditions a simple pair of clear safety glasses would be a good choice, as eye protection.
  7. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I been using glasses called Native's. There Sweet. come with multiple lenses and a vast array of stylish looks. This is about my umpteenth pair
    http://www.nativeyewear.com/Eyegear
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    I'm like Dave here. I have to wear fit overs because of wearing glasses. I have two sets of Cocoons. One is amber and the other is also, just lighter is shade.
  9. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    My girlfriend bought me a pair of Costa's for my birthday. Silver Mirror tint in their 580g glass lenses. Built like a tank and the clarity over my old Smith polarized lenses is night and day. I find myself wearing them at dusk well after I shouldn't be able to see anymore.
  10. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,702 / 0
    My favorites are my Maui Jims because everything looks better through rose colored lens. Well that and because they are the lightest glasses I've ever worn, super comfortable even after a long day outdoors.

Sg
  11. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Smith Optics Techlite glass lenses in Amber for winter, copper for summer.
  12. shadowcast Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    GOOD STUFF. Thanks for all the help, everyone!
  13. Impact Hottub New Member

All Good in the Hood
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    i was a smith guy for a long time, still am for goggles. ive had a pair of natives too. the most important thing you have to do is go to a store and try a bunch of pairs on... even the nicest pair in the world will suck if they dont fit well. my current pair are costas and at the end of a long day fishing i can tell a huge difference in lack of eye fatigue. i have the copper color lense, which seem much better than regular amber for contrasts. the costas cost quite a bit more than some other brands, but if you can swing it, they are worth it.
  14. Coy New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    I also just bought a pair of Natives, yellow and bronze lenses. Lifetime warranty and you can buy other color lenses if you want.
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  15. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +222 / 0
    I don't think brand is as important as the tint. I like light brown/amber lenses, although the copper ones I have are pretty great too. I'd stay away from gray, green, blue, etc unless you are looking at blue water protection rather than sight fishing. The light amber/yellow lenses are great for low light conditions.....my $02.00
  16. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +437 / 0
    I agree Jim.

Although one day I was wearing a pair of lighter colored amber glasses, and didn't realize how dark it was getting, until I took them off. Normally it isn't a big deal, but I had a four and a half mile trek back to the rig... and I forgot my headlamp :eek:. I ended up with a couple bruises and a twisted ankle :p
  17. Mark Juranek Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I am partial to Keanon sunglasses. These are high end made for the water glasses. I have a pair of grey lenses which are great for full bright sun, but my favorites are copper C12 lenses. The contrast is exceptional and very sharp. I have sailed for several years with the G12 lenses, they are well built sunglasses. For sight fishing the copper is a great aid.

I also have a pair of SunClouds, $45 at REI (think they are made by Smith) which are more amber for low light.
  18. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +323 / 0
    I have Maui Jims and Natives. The MJ's are glass and after 8+ hours on my face i can feel their heavier weight. I like the MJ's style and lense quality better than my Natives, but the Natives fit better and are much lighter. I drive with my MJ's and fish with my Natives. I like amber and copper lenses
  19. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +568 / 0
    So how come these "high end" supposedly quality sunglass companies don't make clip ons or fitovers for people that wear glasses?...... I guess I need to order prescription ones.
    Don Freeman likes this.
  20. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,722 / 0
    I wear glasses all the time I never worried about how much they weighed. I don't see how something that light had any weight to them. To me it is natural to the weight of the glasses on my face. If I didn't wear them I couldn't see to fish,read, or thread those small eyes on size 20 hooks. It's funny but I can drive without them and watch TV without them.