Polarized Sunglasses

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Just wondering what tint you guys prefer and if there's a brand you recommend. Bought a pair recently that I thought would work, but after several hours found to be uncomfortable in the extreme.

2. Overall, an amber lens is best. I buy cheap, because I'm always scathing them, breaking, them or losing them.

However, because I buy cheap, I buy two of each kind (amber and grey/smoke lens).

3. Maui jim has a yellow like tint made for overcast days that works pretty good. The only thing I have to compare them to is a pair of polarized oakleys that suck in comparison. Even with less of a tint the glare reduction is amazing. To be honest they where on sale and I needed some thing for bonefish other wise I would never of tried them.

4. I had a pair of Smith Optics, guides choice in copper (glass lens)....was absolutely amazing as far as looking into the water....but.......they looked like crap on my fat head, so i sent them back, and had to go with a Costa green lens, glass...much better for my fat head, they work fantastic, but im sure the Smiths were better. if you have a a medium to small head, try out those Smith copper (glass) ya wont be disappointed.

5. My favorites for general use and fishing are Edge Dakura polarized safety glasses that I get online from SafetyGlasses.com for $32.50 a pair. They come in several different tints and don't look bad, either. They have yellow, smoke, copper, blue and mirror polycarbonate lenses and they ARE scratch resistant! After repairing a minor frame crack I recently gave my son my oldest pair purchased in 2006. They had one small mark on one lens, but were otherwise completely useable.
    Make a mistake when pitching a heavy clouser on a big hook and the safety glass version can be priceless!

6. I have tried many lenses and agree that amber is the best low to medium light color. However the pair I have (from Smith) fit tightly and fog up. I use anti fog but they still fog a bit and honestly, I find the amber to be an obnoxious color. My favorite lenses are Maui Jim's rose however I now find glass lenses too heavy and they often slide down my nose. Now for general use I've been using some of the $50 (@REI) Sunclouds or another brand too. I just look for the lightest color lens and they are very comfortable. They are acrylic but don't seem to scratch as much as plastics used to. I have often thought though that for low light conditions a simple pair of clear safety glasses would be a good choice, as eye protection.

7. I been using glasses called Native's. There Sweet. come with multiple lenses and a vast array of stylish looks. This is about my umpteenth pair
    http://www.nativeyewear.com/Eyegear

8. I'm like Dave here. I have to wear fit overs because of wearing glasses. I have two sets of Cocoons. One is amber and the other is also, just lighter is shade.

9. My girlfriend bought me a pair of Costa's for my birthday. Silver Mirror tint in their 580g glass lenses. Built like a tank and the clarity over my old Smith polarized lenses is night and day. I find myself wearing them at dusk well after I shouldn't be able to see anymore.

10. My favorites are my Maui Jims because everything looks better through rose colored lens. Well that and because they are the lightest glasses I've ever worn, super comfortable even after a long day outdoors.

Sg

11. Smith Optics Techlite glass lenses in Amber for winter, copper for summer.

12. GOOD STUFF. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

13. i was a smith guy for a long time, still am for goggles. ive had a pair of natives too. the most important thing you have to do is go to a store and try a bunch of pairs on... even the nicest pair in the world will suck if they dont fit well. my current pair are costas and at the end of a long day fishing i can tell a huge difference in lack of eye fatigue. i have the copper color lense, which seem much better than regular amber for contrasts. the costas cost quite a bit more than some other brands, but if you can swing it, they are worth it.

14. I also just bought a pair of Natives, yellow and bronze lenses. Lifetime warranty and you can buy other color lenses if you want.

BASS_TURDS likes this.
  15. I don't think brand is as important as the tint. I like light brown/amber lenses, although the copper ones I have are pretty great too. I'd stay away from gray, green, blue, etc unless you are looking at blue water protection rather than sight fishing. The light amber/yellow lenses are great for low light conditions.....my $02.00

16. I agree Jim.

Although one day I was wearing a pair of lighter colored amber glasses, and didn't realize how dark it was getting, until I took them off. Normally it isn't a big deal, but I had a four and a half mile trek back to the rig... and I forgot my headlamp :eek:. I ended up with a couple bruises and a twisted ankle :p

17. I am partial to Keanon sunglasses. These are high end made for the water glasses. I have a pair of grey lenses which are great for full bright sun, but my favorites are copper C12 lenses. The contrast is exceptional and very sharp. I have sailed for several years with the G12 lenses, they are well built sunglasses. For sight fishing the copper is a great aid.

I also have a pair of SunClouds, $45 at REI (think they are made by Smith) which are more amber for low light.

18. I have Maui Jims and Natives. The MJ's are glass and after 8+ hours on my face i can feel their heavier weight. I like the MJ's style and lense quality better than my Natives, but the Natives fit better and are much lighter. I drive with my MJ's and fish with my Natives. I like amber and copper lenses

19. So how come these "high end" supposedly quality sunglass companies don't make clip ons or fitovers for people that wear glasses?...... I guess I need to order prescription ones.

Don Freeman likes this.
  20. I wear glasses all the time I never worried about how much they weighed. I don't see how something that light had any weight to them. To me it is natural to the weight of the glasses on my face. If I didn't wear them I couldn't see to fish,read, or thread those small eyes on size 20 hooks. It's funny but I can drive without them and watch TV without them.