Port Angles fishing?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Redcat22, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Redcat22

Redcat22 Born to fish forced to work!

I am going to Port Angeles for the weekend to see my grandparents and was wondering if there was anything within an hours drive that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks
    KC

2. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Olympic National Park is nice. Check in @ Waterswest.com

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Fishing Lake Crescent would be worth it if you never have before. Was a nice report from the recent opener on this forum.

When I was a teenager and just learning to fly fish I used to put my float tube in lake Sutherland. I would generally put in at the launch on south shore road, then kick a ways down the southern shoreline heading west till the first little cove. Then I would fish that cove. Had a lot of fun times catching cookie cutter rainbows

4. Lostcreeker

Lostcreeker Member

Pooh's Ponds can be fun for a quick big trout fix. The owner maintains two ponds, $5 to fish the one for trout up to 24" and the other $25 pond for trout up to 30". Very scenic spot too. You can get directions by Googling Pooh's Ponds.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  5. tyeoneon

tyeoneon Active Member

Waters West is a great fly shop!

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

If you have access to a boat, you might want to try Lake Crescent. I fished there a couple of days ago in the rain with Jim Speaker. Although the fishing was kind of slow, we persisted in the rain (rained nearly all day...and we fished all day), and ended up bringing to the net a few smaller (12" to 14") Beardslee Rainbows and a couple of cutthroat (exact subspecies yet to be determined).
    I brought only one cutthroat to the net (had another one on long enough to ID that it was a cutthroat), but it was a beauty! The tip-top of its dorsal fin was bright red! I didn't have my camera along, but the "other" Jim got a pic of it underwater!

I'll let Jim give his full report when he returns, as this was his gig, and I just joined him for one day.

It wasn't the hottest trout fishing, but it was cool to finally catch and experience a Beardslee 'bow close up. Words can't do these beautiful, bluebacked trout justice. You'll have to see Jim's pics when he posts them.

I'll give you a couple of tips. Use a Kokanee fry pattern. Blueback/whitebelly. Troll it on a deep sinking line, or cast it to the shoreline using a type 3 full-sinker. Experiment with retrieves. The fry we saw looked to be about 2 1/2" to 3" long already. Somehow, I managed to flail a 2" streamer 40' using an old Cortland 333 6 wt. type 3 full-sinking line on my 9' TFO Jim Teeny 4 wt. And it didn't seem to hurt my arm! :)

You can see the bottom at 55 feet or so. The trout can easily see you if you are standing in your boat and casting. You can observe some trout cruising, if you wear your polaroids.

Also, I just checked the river gages, and it looks like some of them are dropping into fishable levels!

However, I am going surfing today, since it looks just about right for an old man.:cool:

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I know this may sound crazy, but Seiku is right up the Strait and if you have a boat to make it out you might want to consider the sea bass/rock bass.

8. Kyle McCurdy

Kyle McCurdy Member

Home Page:
    Even if you don't have a boat, there's plenty of places to fish Crescent from shore!

9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

We saw a guy casting a fly from a roadside pullout off of 101, and waved at him as we drove by.