Possible move to KY

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Skyler Evans, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    So I might possibly be moving to Fort Campbell, KY in the next few months and im looking for some info on fly fishing for bass, I have done it a few times out her in WA but its a completely different game in the warm water of the south. Rods, reels, lines, flies and anything else you guys can give me on advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Tight Lines.
  2. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +20 / 0
    Nooo!!

I've been there Bro; the Steelhead never showed up.....
    Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +767 / 0
    I hear that KY makes great jelly, don't eat it though
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  4. nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

Bothell, washington
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Isn't that where Deliverance was filmed?......you knew it was only a matter of time.
  5. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
  6. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    ... This thread isn't going as planned.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Pat Lat likes this.
  7. olypenjeeper Active Member

Astoria Oregon
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    I lived in South Jersey for a few years. Same type of bass lakes as you'd find down south. I used a 6wt mostly, with regular old floating line and mostly poppers cast around any weeds or stumps. If there was no surface activity, I'd switch to clousers and normally dredge something up. A 6 wt might be alittle light to handle some BIG southern bass, but did well for me with LM up to 4 pounds. It held me over and kept me sane for four years until we returned to the NW. Good luck!
  8. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +738 / 0
    I see Pat and Turds have already made this thread all that I hoped it would be.

:)
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Don't drink the Burbon. No, that isn't right. Drink the Burbon.
  10. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    Well as only one person has actually answered any questions that I had I thank you jeeper. Paul I will be making trips back here every year, I will drink the Bourbon, yes deliverance was filmed there, yes everyone in the state carries an industrial sized tube of astroglide, and only the brave eat the jelly out of KY. Thanks everyone
    Pat Lat likes this.
  11. MarkY3130 Active Member

Kent, WA
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    I lived in Des Moines, IA for 14 months and had to transition to warm water species. Here is what worked for me:

Bluegill/Crappie- Anything small enough to fit in their mouths will likely produce 30 fish per hour. Micro poppers, bead head nymphs, whatever. Cast and strip them in.

Bass- poppers and streamers. Or, target bluegill and every once in a while the bass will attack the bluegill you're pulling in. It's pretty exciting.

Catfish- Micro jigs are the ticket. I did well with bright lime green as night was approaching.

As far as equipment goes, I used a 4 wt when targeting the pan fish and a 6 wt when targeting the others. Both were 9' and I thought it was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    I might get one steelhead trip before I PCS :(
  13. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +767 / 0
    ooooh a bluegill pattern would be fun, Just gave me motivation to hit the vise. any pike or muskie out there?
  14. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +883 / 0
    Skyler, seems to me Ft. Campbell's air assault or something? is this a military posting, or are you just moving for a job. When I was a kid, I used to spin fish for black bass in the lakes near my home; good eatin`! Can't give you any advice on fishing for bass with a fly except to drink Bud-that worked for Bitterroot and Dave Alberts when a bunch of us were at Banks lake a few years ago!
  15. Skyler Evans Active Member

Fort Lewis
    yeah military move, and I spent a few months there a few years ago and did some fishing about 2 miles away from banks lake. a small 2 mi around lake that held 6lb bass for days. i was not into fly fishing then.
  16. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +659 / 5
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Ok, make sure one of your visits back is for "the trip". :)
  17. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Tie up some big ugly bunnies and mice. Poppers might work also.
  18. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Clousers tooooooooo
  19. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +542 / 0
    I always feel for military guys when they are stationed in foreign countries.

Go Sox,
    cds
    Alex MacDonald and troutpocket like this.
  20. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +240 / 0

Don't know much about Kentucky but I do know that if you can make it to Northern Georgia there are some pretty good spots. Google the Unicoi Outfitter, I believe they are in Helen GA. And if you are willing to go further south.. Try your luck on the Saluda River in South Carolina.. I have a POC for you there that can get you to a spot where I caught my largest 23" brown trout.. I will plot some point for another place in Northern GA as soon as I google and find it again.. I will send you all I can...