Practice leader for Spey on grass?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by wyofly, May 8, 2013.

1. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    I have heard that a tied leader with the tags left about 1-inch long will provide enough anchor to practice spey casting on grass. If so, I would think that the more tags exposed the better the friction. Anyone have dimensions for such a leader?
  2. hookedonthefly Active Member

The Confluence
    Ratings: +120 / 0
    Trevor tied one up that worked well. Knots about six inches a apart. The knot's tag end at the end of the leader is 1/2" on each side. The two knot tag ends closest to the tip/polyleader are 1/2" on each side also. The rest were +- 1/8". The leader length's about 7 feet.
  3. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Thank you, I'll tie one up.
    Jim
  4. Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Naches, WA
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    The one that I use is about 11 feet long with blood knots every eight inches or so. I used 30lb maxima and put a set of lead eyes on the end to help it dig in. It works if you power down and go slow.
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,221 / 9
    Double overhand knots around short picked out pieces of yarn add a bit of friction in the grass too. Same idea, but instead of mono tags sticking out both sides, you have pieces of yarn.
  6. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Interesting!!
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +287 / 1
    How'd that work for you, Jim? I tied a grass leader sveral years ago and have never used it. About the time I hink about it again, there's always something that comes up to prevent me from trying it out.
  8. wyofly Active Member

NW Wyoming
    Hi Steve, I tied a grass leader along with many salmon flies and have not used either the flies or the leader. The grass leader is to be used when I don't have access to water and the flies will be use on my next two trips to Tacoma. Several times a week I practice spey casts on the Big Horn river.
    Jim