Preparing for the upcoming bass top water season

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Shawn West, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    I am hoping it will not be too long before the bass start looking up. With that in mind, I decided to tie up a few hair bugs yesterday. There are a lot of other colors I would like to have in my arsenal, but this should work for now.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Happy Bassn'
    Shawn
    McNasty, jersey, Eyejuggler and 2 others like this.
  2. jersey livin' the dream

sonoma county
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    That's some fine trimmin work Shawn.

Nice bugs
  3. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
  4. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    What weight rod does it take to cast one of those? They look very nice. Makes me want to try bass fishin'. Never done it before.
  5. Shawn West Active Member

Vancouver,Washington
    Ratings: +117 / 0
    I plan on using my Sage Smallmouth rod. You could cast those with a 6 or 7 weight rod. To be honest with you, most of my fishing is done with a 5 weight rod. Buggers can be deadly for bass. I will usually not use the top water flies until the water temperatures reach 68 degrees or above.

Shawn
  6. Billy Goat Beitner New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I am planning on trying out some buggers this weekend on a very secluded lake with some good bass fishing. It will be my first time focussing on lm bass. I'll be using my 5wt rod for now as I set my 7wt up for the salmon run. I've really enjoyed the bass I have caught. I'll make sure to post any picture on Sunday.
  7. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Thanks Shawn. I may do a little research on waters up north of Seattle and give bass a try this summer. What little I've read of it sounds fun.