PS fishin' lookin' good in 2013

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dipnet, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    From a March 1 WDFW news release:

Puget Sound: Another strong run of coho salmon will boost fisheries in Puget Sound, where millions of pink salmon also are expected to return this year.

About 880,000 coho are forecast to return to Puget Sound streams, about 150,000 more fish than last year’s forecast. “Fishing for coho was really good last season, and we expect much of the same this summer,” said Ryan Lothrop, Puget Sound recreational salmon fishery manager for WDFW.
    In addition, more than 6 million pink salmon are expected back to the Sound this year. Most pink salmon return to Washington’s waters only in odd-numbered years.
    “It’s a pink year, which is a great time to introduce a friend or family member – especially children – to salmon fishing,” said Lothrop. “Fishing this summer should be similar to 2011, when anglers were catching limits of pink salmon throughout the Sound and its rivers.”
    Summer/fall chinook salmon returns to Puget Sound are expected to total about 264,000 fish, similar to the last few years. Most chinook fisheries in Puget Sound, where the bulk of the return is hatchery chinook, will be similar to last year, Lothrop said.

Complete bulletin here: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/mar0113a/
  2. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,151 / 1
    I found this interesting in the press release ......

One fishing rule on the agenda this year is a proposal to lower the minimum size limit from 22 inches to 20 inches for chinook salmon in Puget Sound sport fisheries. For years, anglers have requested that WDFW consider making that change in the Sound’s marine waters, said Pat Pattillo, salmon policy coordinator for WDFW.
    “Now that the majority of our recreational chinook fisheries focus on abundant hatchery salmon, we decided it was time to discuss the size limit,” said Pattillo.

If they do this, I hope the state also does a better job of educating anglers on how to identify various salmon species.
    Quite a few sub legal and wild chinook get bonked in odd years by people who can't tell the difference between a chinook and a humpy.

I wonder if the state will go back to a July 16th opening to avoid another early closure or open MA 9 again on July 1st.
  3. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +258 / 0
    That is a really interesting rule change proposal. It will mostly affect boat anglers, who have been tossing back a good number of undersized blackmouth. Occasionally the beach anglers have to release a blackmouth that's just below 22". Last summer the tribes insisted on an early closing of the chinook season due to excessive catch and release of undersized blackmouth. Based on that I'm not so sure they would want to go along with this rule change.

Stonefish's comment on not being able to tell the difference between a pink salmon and a chinook reminds me of an odd experience. In summer of 2011 I was fishing a beach crowded with buzz bombers fishing for pink salmon. It was just after the closure for chinook salmon retention in late-August. We were catching good numbers of pinks when a guy just down the beach from me hooked into a big salmon that had him sweating bullets. He went running down the beach in front of us yelling "king" as we reeled in to let him pass. To me it looked like he was fighting a big humpy buck, and sure enough that's what it was when he landed it. But to this guy it was definitely a chinook and he was going to kill it and get it back to his truck as soon as possible before WDFW spotted him. We kept telling him it was legal to keep a pink salmon, but he ran off with his "king" never to be seen again.
    obryan214 likes this.
  4. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +178 / 0
    I have had a wdfw fish checker at an area 11 boat launch tell me that a chrome chum was a Coho before. That was interesting.
  5. Go Fish Language, its a virus

Rheomode, Wa.
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    The idea of "angler education" with the hoards
    of people pursuing pinks is laughable. I can't count
    the number of times someone lands a pink, bonks it,
    and lets it lay in the sun for 5 hours. Yum. Even when
    cleaned and iced they are best served smoked.
  6. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +344 / 0
    And then they say "those damn humpies taste really bad!"

BTW, I'm lookin' forward to gettin' some for the smoker!!! :)
    plaegreid and Beachmen like this.
  7. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,151 / 1
    Likely true Dave. How many times over the years have we witness the bonk first, then ask what kind of fish it is act on the beaches.
    The answer would be "dead".
  8. Beachmen Active Member

Port Orchard
    Ratings: +63 / 0
    I CAN'T WAIT TO HIT THE BEACH FOR PINKS WITH MY 6WT THIS YEAR. I LOVE IT. and they make great smoked salmon sandwitch spreads and chip dips.
  9. Birdsnest Member

Ratings: +7 / 0
    I was fishing at Sekiu a few years ago and WDFW had a table set up with kings, silvers, and humpies on it so people could see how good they are at species identification. This is a great idea that I am sure would be helpful around the Puget Sound boat ramps. I'm sure a lot of Kings get bonked out of season from fishermen that just don't know any better.
    obryan214 and Beachmen like this.
  10. obryan214 New Member

Tacoma Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Oh yeah, they totally look alike.
    I would like to see the table from sekiu mentioned above or something else to better teach ID on the species. I'm down at the point defiance boathouse nearly every morning and probably saw 40 blackmouth mistaken for coho this past summer and fall come in. Saw an 18lb chum get mistaken for a king also, black bars and all.
  11. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,470 / 2
    gods forbid we have any kind of angler education requirement for those fishing for anything but stocked trout and bass. I can't see a single downside to that (besides all the the 'seasoned' anglers complaining about having to go through it).