Puffy Jackets and Flat brimmed hats

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by John Hicks, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    I'm pretty sure I've got a pic of you in a flat-brim on the river somewhere :)
    Grayone likes this.
  2. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Actually, he never said there was anything wrong with it. Maybe he's into younger men. Start wearing your hat backwards and find out ;)
    Chris Johnson and Itchy Dog like this.
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    I watch the styles that "younger" folks wear today with a good bit of humor. The same humor as when I see old photos of me in bell bottom jeans and tie-dyed shirts. Any extreme or flashy style gets the same reaction from most folks. The style never lasts long and soon a new one takes its place. It's more about ones attitude. Does wearing said fashion make them think they're cool? If it takes a style to make the person who they want to be instead of being who they are, it's all bullshit and it's obvious to everyone they're a poser.

To digress slightly I laugh hysterically when I see these kids with their pants down past their ass. If they only knew where the style originated they might pull up their pants. Then again, they might not. It began in prisons as a form of discreet communication that one was ready to be someone's bitch and take it in the ....you get the picture. So if you come fishing with me with your pants down, go home...fast, and don't come back.
  4. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Haters gonna hate
    triploidjunkie and Stonefish like this.
  5. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 1
    Do waders with the crotch at the knees complete the ensemble?
  6. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +61 / 1
    Fishing is suppose to be fun, no matter how you fish or what you wear. If you have a problem, stay home!
  7. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +878 / 0
    where the hell did THIS come from?
  8. ColdArkansan Redneck Scientist

Seattle, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    possibly here?
  9. dflett68 Active Member

snohomish
    Ratings: +189 / 0
    Spot on Evan. Hemingway got all his stuff from A&F back in the day.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    I don't know what's wrong with puffy jackets. I can make any jacket look puffy.
    Gary Knowels and triploidjunkie like this.
  11. easymends 8100XP

Portland, OR
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I have to say the Patagonia Nano Micro Puff Jacket is the best thing to come along since the Thingamabobber.
    troutdopemagic likes this.
  12. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    If I could have found that photo, I would have used it somehow:)
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,224 / 0
    Every since my kids were little, it's cracked me up to see junior high school-aged boys wearing long baggy shorts and a t-shirt waiting for the bus in the morning or on their way home in the afternoon. Doesn't matter whether it's dumping snow, raining or 85 and sunny - they're wearing baggy shorts and a t-shirt.

When my youngest was in junior high and had put up with my mini-rants about shorts and t-shirts for a few years too many, one day she said, "What do you care? You don't have to wear them. They're not your kids." And of course she was right, so I never brought it up again.

Then what shows up in the Wall Street Journal a couple weeks ago, but a light-hearted article about teenage boys wearing shorts year 'round, even in the arctic-style winters in NY and Boston. Turns out according to their parents, wearing shorts 365 has become a sort of badge of courage and rite of passage among many middle class white teenage boys.

Go f__king figure. Just makes me glad I had girls instead of some bonehead who wears shorts in the snow! Let alone a puffy coat and a flat hat.

K
    flybill likes this.
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    I've noticed this too. I see so many guys, from adolescent age on up, with not particularly cheap clothing, obviously trying to look cool, and not wearing a coat or anything else that could be considered warm when it's cold.
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    I think you better grow some thicker skin. If you think my cussing is bad you better read some more of what every body else writes. Sucking dicks is mild.
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,652 / 0
    More: Shit, I was going to post something and being that I'm as old as I am, I forgot what in the hell I was going to say. It's hell being old.
  17. Dottiesdad Member

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Every generation seems to get together somehow and come up with some goofy way for them to express their "individuality" en masse. Yeah, there is a serious logical contradiction there -- life's like that.

Functionally, it does give them something to outgrow as they move toward adulthood. The individual's act of outgrowing the goofy collective rebellion thing functions as a marker that they are ready to fully participate in adult society.

This transitional process is also one of the ways that life introduces us to humility. Can any of us hold onto a claim of our infallibility when confronted with a picture of ourselves from our high school prom? No.

So, don't worry -- be happy. This too shall pass.

DD
  18. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    Unless he's Latino of course... HEY!!!
  19. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    Where do you get the phobia from? It sounded like disgust to me...a bit course in it's delivery, but Jim never beats around the bush. Around the bush, now that's funny...:D
  20. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,559 / 0
    Oh, now I get it. The Generation Gap. When the older folks can't relate to the younger generation. Shakespeare's King Lear is based on the Generation Gap so it is certainly nothing new.

I certainly didn't dress nor wear my hair the same as my parents so it is a generation thing that is ongoing.