Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puget Sound Steelhead

4K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  Teal101 
#1 ·
Sad day, indeed. Everybody out enjoying the last day on our local streams? Poachers should have a very good spring season.

#35 ·
What is "corking"?
It is a term from the commercial fishing industry, when someone sets their gear in front of yours you've been " corked". Nets have corks, his corks are in front of my corks. It is also called getting "laced" or fucked fouled and jammed.

#38 ·
I was able to C&R a Puget Sound river mid teener on the last day of the season. Pretty fish, thick and stocky. Centerpin with a bead so don't everyone congratulate me all at once. It was my first real attempt at fishing local in a few years. Recent data and what I knew about the river I was on made me decide to give it a shot and things paid off.

#42 ·
Similar story, no fish all winter. And plenty of searching and learning too. I would say 20 plus days with hardly a grab or pull. 2 hours left in the season on Saturday and I got my first steel ever. It was a great season I think. I had no hopes on Saturday, just dolly fishing. But then it happened. I went and it paid off.

You don't know if you don't go

#40 ·
100% lack of effort on my part. I think I went out three times.
You beat me by three trips.
After nearly 50 years I think my PS steelhead days are just about done.
I've found other species and angling opportunities to fill the void.
Lots of great memories though.
SF

G
#43 ·
Because the state is spending more money than they have and they need more cash to pay the bills, fund the state retirerment fund & pay for the pay raises that they have given out even thou they have a deficit budget. In short pay a lot more & get a lot less !

G
#44 ·
Well corking is happening more than ever is all I'm sayin. Nothing about how someone fishes. I always just say wattup and ask to fish occupied water. People are usually fine. I see these young bucks acting like I am not there while they cork me. It is a tough pill to swallow. I say young because they look that way.

If PS teelheading is going to be this crowded people are
going to have to be more communicative and respectful rather than a rat race for every last hero shot.
That's when I start tossing rocks into the river, theres something about this kind of behavior that make me want to start skipping rocks....Don't know why that is.

#45 ·
. .1 person here,1 there. I didn't encounter many people when I floated the river the last 2 weeks of J. Was able to fish the walk-in holes too. ..probably showed at least 3 boats where some fatties hold when they witnessed us in combat... 1 guy was there the next day ,floated all the way down to said hole...my buddy BP bushwacking in from timbuktoo at dawn arrives to the passerby from other day in the run..FML!!! Its funny when we see a sled coming up river when we have a fish on we try and bury the rod in the river so as to not look like we have a fish on as we SMILE:) its fun times..as it should be!

#46 ·
Speaking of fun times ..I had the pleasure of meeting up with our very own Hauntedbywaters on a misty morning up north for a float. I ventured outside my box and decided I want to meet this dude. We fish the same waters we care about the resource and we've never met?? Well he's a stand up guy and a pretty Damn good fisherman..righteous dude I'd say! See.. encounters can be enlightening. It's all in what your looking for..grasshopper

#47 ·
I hope someday soon we can actually have a real shot to responsibly CNR these special fish during a spring season. January is for the birds! My lucky number didn't come up in my couple trips out this "season" but I had the pleasure of tailing two perfect hens for two good buds and found a player in the last run on the last day but couldn't seal the deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.