Article Pyramid Lake Lahontan cutthroat making a comeback

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Baerwalde, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +201 / 0
  2. Roger Stephens Active Member

Ratings: +306 / 0
  3. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +394 / 1
    i was unaware of the Pilot Peak part as well. great read, thanks for sharing.
  4. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    That is encouraging news!
  5. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +401 / 16
    Now if they would just remove the dam that wiped them out in the first place you would see the Truckee erupt into more of a trophy fishery than it already is. Although I don't know what that would do to the wild brown and rainbow population. Good post. I was born and raised in Reno and it makes me miss home.
  6. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    I read about the Pilot Peak discovery a few years back. Good to learn they are making a comeback.

I've long been puzzled why anglers cast from step ladders in that lake. I wonder if the Tribe prohibits boats or what.
  7. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +401 / 16
    We use ladders because the gradual slope outwards from the shore goes quite a ways before the drop off in most spots. If you were to wade out you wouldn't be able to cast to the drop off before the water was too high. Although there are spots that drop to 30ft almost immediately. You can use a boat but the wind is unpredictable and can be pretty fierce. That's why most fish from shore.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2
  8. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +840 / 1
    Deep wading, long casts, cold water.

Leland.
    Grayone likes this.
  9. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    I've never fished pyramid, but I personally use ladders for sight fishing. When your chest deep it's hard to spot fish.
  10. Matt Baerwalde ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +201 / 0
    What's the best ladder for Rocky Ford vs. Pyramid Lake? Does Simms make a travel version that will fit in an overhead bin?
    Jeff Dodd and Patrick Gould like this.
  11. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Spot on; the wind there can go from 0-50 in a second and not a place you'd want to be in a tube or a 'toon. With the ladders one also is elevated and can cast further. Some get very inventive; chairs, drink holders, etc. Most have a wider foot so as not to sink into the sand.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  12. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Look for a G10 (10 steps) model soon.
  13. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +656 / 0
    It is amazing story and even more amazing is that fish after nearly a century in a small stream keep the traits for longevity and fast growth when returned to their ancestral waters.

Curt
  14. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    A century is probably just a fart in the breeze in an evolutionary sense so it seems likely that the Pilot Peak fish hadn't had nearly enough time to become disadapted from their historic Pyramid Lake conditions. What's more amazing is that the Utah guy back in 1900 had the foresight to put some of the original fish in the Pilot Peak stream. Wonder if we'll ever look back the same way at some of the bonehead things today's bucket biologists do.

K
  15. JE Active Member

Great NW
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    Amen to that Curt. Maybe a little hope lies with those little native rainbows in our upper drainages.
  16. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +647 / 0
    So...are the wolf guys going to go after this "reintroduction"?
    Lugan and bennysbuddy like this.
  17. Dave Boyle Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Hmm, a misguided day dream perhaps but wouldn't it be something if the Elwha Chinook of old (pre damming) could be 'rediscovered' in the same way. Alsakan trolling would 'f' that regardless though no doubt. It's ironic that this was the root of the hatchery brats. I've read that the steelies and SRCs (a 14 lbr?) were also a bit on the beefy side too. Perhaps their genes are still in the 'pool' in some pools in a creek or two in the upper reaches. The recuperative power of nature can be f'ing awesome, if given a chance. Thanks for the info and a great example of how people, environmental ruin and hatchery/planted fish are a bad idea and the real damage that they can cause but there's always hope.

Dave
  18. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,176 / 0
    Thanks for sharing. The discovery and subsequent recovery of those Pilot Peak fish is a really cool comeback story! I will be conducting some Lahontan sampling on Pyramid next week, you know, in the name of science and all. :) Hopefully, I will locate one of those 20 pounders!
  19. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    The guy who planted those Lahontans in Pilot Creek probably had visions of 20 lb fish in a step-across creek!
    D
  20. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +740 / 0
    In my dreams I wonder about native rainbows of the North Fork of the Clearwater, and if they have the recipe for another 35# fish in there somewhere.
    Kent Lufkin likes this.