Question on a Fiberglass Pack Rod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Islander, Apr 9, 2013.

1. My wife is doing an estate sale with one of her business partners and came across this old South Bend pack rod. It says South Bend Stag 370 balanced for #6 line and also "Powertaper". It's 7' long when assembled and doesn't look to have been used a lot. Any collector value to a rod like this? I couldn't find anything similar on Ebay. Thanks, Steve

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.9 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      1.8 MB
      Views:
  2. I have a similar South Bend Pack Rod but it's a six piece Outdoorsman but it looks a bit like yours. It's not a distance casting machine but competent to modest ranges. These rods usually don't go for more than $30-40 from what I've seen. An Outdoorsman like mine just sold on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/south-bend-outdoorsman-6-piece-pack-ror-fiberglass-7-fly-rod-1-632-270-case-/200911255923?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma=true&si=OZlRuuO6dc6%2B5yC5eru2OzLGB1I%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Attached Files:

3. I had a similar rod with metal ferrules and they were supposed to have made the rod very stiff and not a very easy to sell because of that fact.

4. Thanks for the info guys. I'll let her know.