Questions re Crescenti Cutthroat

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Speaker, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Marymere falls is on Barnes Creek. As I was fishing not far from 101 I saw and/or heard a number of day-hikers go by. Oh, and thanks! :)

The Duke likes this.
  2. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

That's interesting and a little confusing because the name Salmo gairderni is the old genus and species name for rainbow trout. I would have expected the original name to be Salmo clarki crescentis.

If Lake Cresecent has not been stocked with cutthroat and there are only two spawning populations (Lyre River and Barnes Creek), then there is only one type of cutthroat in the lake, the coastal cutthroat. The two "color types" of cutthroat trout being seen are probably due to different life history traits. The amount of rainbow introgression in the Barnes Creek population may play a factor to.

Jim Speaker and Kent Lufkin like this.
  3. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Some interesting reading and notes on the Hatchery history and influences upon Cutthroat Trout in Lake Crescent and adjacent streams here:

www.watrailblazers.org/science/crawford

Also See there: "cutthroat trout, salmo clarki, Richardson . . . "In 1913 the Lake crescent hatchery was built . . .")

Simply searching the term "Lake Crescent Hatchery" will glean reams of good references to this history and influence. Another sad example of our human impacts on a once wild fishery.

http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

sopflyfisher likes this.
  4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Bruce,

I just reread the section in Behnke's 1992 monograph I cited yesterday and think I see what caused the confusion. It appears that Jordan, upon not finding basibranchial teeth on the specimen in question, concluded erroneously it was a steelhead instead of a coastal cutthroat, thus the species name gairdneri.

This nicely illustrates Behnke's point that 'splitters' like Jordan and his colleagues, were all too quick to conclude that differences between individuals were attributable to different subspecies instead of variations resulting from differing life histories. Aside from a complete lack of basibranchial teeth, every other aspect of the specimen that Jordan examined was consistent with coastal cutthroat. I guess it goes to show the problems with drawing conclusions of the basis of appearance alone.

My apologies for needlessly complicating an already complicated situation. The fact that so many people still refer to the non-existant 'crescentis' shows how complicated things remain, even more than a century after the fact.

I've included scans of the Behnke monograph relative to Crescent Lake and 'crescentis' below.

K

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jim Speaker likes this.
  5. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

I just got back from another week at Lake Crescent. It turns out Marymere Falls is on a feeder stream, a trib of Barnes Creek, called Falls Creek. Just learned that this year. Cheers

6. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Thanks for the info Jim! Report!!!

7. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Today, I spoke with an individual who was conducting a redd survey on Barnes Creek. The results of last year's survey revealed the lowest number of redds in many years. This is due to the loss and degradation of suitable spawning habitat upstream of the Highway 101 bridge. Barnes Creek is the "home" of the very beautiful and unique Crescenti Cutthroat Trout.
    I urge you to reconsider any plans you may have to fish in Barnes Creek. I further urge you to "go easy" on the Crescenti Cutthroat in the lake. They don't exist anywhere else on earth.
    Jack

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Thanks for sharing that, Jack! These are words to be heeded! I wasn't able to make my planned rendezvous with Jim Speaker this year. I'll have to be content with chasing Searun Coastal Cutts once I can get back to fishing.