Quiet 4th morning on the water

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kcahill, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Finally got some time at home to spend chasing bass. The water was right at about 68f and the water was like glass. As I walked down to the water my neighbor was already fishing off his dock and had a stringer of stockers, as I talked to him I saw a bass cruising and figured it could be a good day. I started with a popper and never changed flies, the yellow and black worked all morning. With the water so calm I started popping the fly as soon as it hit the water and most strikes were immediate.

Probably caught 7-8 fish over 2 hours, the largest going maybe 14" and a pound and a half but plenty of fun on a 5 weight. I wish I had more time home in the summers to fish, sometimes I forget how much fun bass fishing is with a fly rod!

2. Ryan Couch

Ryan Couch New Member

What kind of poppers are you using. I live next to a bass lake and would like to know what to use. Can you post a picture?

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I use smaller panfish type poppers mostly since in the lake I fish most of the bass are probably 12-14", I have hooked a couple that were MUCH larger than that but they are pretty rare. Like 2 or 3 times a year rare, in the picture the white one is what I normally use and I have handfuls of them I got from somewhere. They are just cheap balsa wood poppers. I also buy any smaller deer hair poppers I find when I am visiting fly shops, but most of them I find are bigger than what I would use around here.
    poppers.jpg