Raft or Drift Boat in Alaska

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fishingAK14, Nov 4, 2013.

1. fishingAK14

fishingAK14 Member

I am in Alaska and was thinking of getting either a raft or a drift boat for some of the rivers up here. It seems like there are a ton of drift boats on the Kenai, but more rafts in other places up here. I was wondering which you would prefer if you were up here, what you have if you live in Alaska, and why. I am leaning towards a raft with a frame at the moment, but was looking for other opinions.

2. Ray

Ray Member

You can fly rafts in. Drift boats, not so much.

freestoneangler likes this.
  3. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

I'd say that just about answers that.

4. fishingAK14

fishingAK14 Member

That is a great point, one that I hadn't even thought of yet.

5. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

If you are looking to mostly float the Kenai I would choose a drift boat. I guess if you have the dough to take fly out trips, a raft may be a better option - I didnt. I would much rather float the Kenai or Kasilof in a larger drifter, just my opinion. Get an extra one man pontoon for the Parks streams and you will be set.

6. fishingAK14

fishingAK14 Member

I wouldn't say I have the dough, but the idea of being able to fly somewhere with the raft is quite appealing. I was looking at 18' drift boats, but have not looked to see what the size of most of the rafts are. I would be down on the Kenai some, and on the Kasilof as we have land down on that river.

7. Josh Stroud

Josh Stroud Active Member

I would personally go with the 18' drift boat. That would be perfect for both of those rivers.

8. fishingAK14

fishingAK14 Member

Ya, I think 18' is about as big as I would want to go. Eventually My wife and I will be heading back down to the Hood River area and I would not want anything bigger then that for local rivers in Oregon and Washington.

9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Drift boat with motor! single Pontoon for all other use.

Drift boat with motor = Bay crabbing and fishing, tide water fishing, running bigger rivers with motor, rowing floats higher up for huge rainbows. Doesn't matter if your in Alaska or Oregon, a drifter and motor just plain works!

Hood river area = mouth of the Deschutes, Drano lake, mouth of wind river, lower John day, mouth of Klick, central Oregon lakes, East, Crane, Wickiup, the list goes on for motor use.

Rowing = klick, Deschutes, sandy, Washougal, eastfork, northfork the list goes on and on.

constructeur likes this.