Raft Stove?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by John Hicks, Apr 29, 2013.

1. What are you all using for a stove on your rafts? I'm looking for something with 2 burners and fits in a dry box. I want quality. I currently am using a nice coleman but it doesn't fit very well in the dry box.

2. I predict that Derek will say Partner Steel......

3. Not only Derek...that's the one.

4. Indeed. Adapter for 1 lb. propane and full-size tanks, fits in your dry boxes, John. My recommendation hands-down.

5. Have to agree, they are the schiznet!

6. Depends. For cooking, these guys have the best info...I use a Coleman. For heating, try a Buddy of the proper size. Of course, if you have a kayak, it doesn't matter, 'cause you can't have your kayak and heat it too.

Dan Nelson likes this.
  7. Partner Steel is the choice of most of the major outfitters...tough, easy to fold up, excellent burners and they stand by their products unlike many that are made in China and once you buy it you are on your own.

8. I don't really like the partner stove, the burners aren't really rated that much for BTU and they are bulky and take up too much space for a 1 boat trip.

I actually just got one of these converter things that turns your old coleman 2 burner white gas stove into a propane stove, Works awsomely and seams to burn hotter than the white gas did. Excellent flame control with the stansport converter.

http://www.amazon.com/StanSport-185...=8-9&keywords=propane converter coleman stove

9. Wow, it's been years since I used one of their stoves, but was a lot better then my old propane coleman I had back then (well, still have, I passed it onto my son). Hmmmmm, wonder what BTU they're using.

10. The Partner (Two Burner) Stove is smaller than the Coleman you've pictured.......

11. There is a link to the converter that has a photo of a coleman, which is not mine.

My coleman is very old and in awsome shape and somewhat smaller than current models, which I got for $15 off craigslist several years ago. It 12,000 btu spec burners (whitegas) which seam to burn hoter with the stansport propane converter, which was $16. The volume of hte stove, which I just measured is 782 cubic inches.

The most similar Partner stove, 2 burner with wind screen attached is 809 cubic inches, has 10,000 btu burners and costs $255 from Cascade Outfitters.

Why would I pay $200 more for a bulker stove with burners that are at the low end of the camp stove spectrum?

Cause they are cool and all the guides use them? :)

12. I've been through the progression of stoves - of what works, and what doesn't. Partner Stoves have better quality, reliability, and simplicity - just some of the reasons why, making them "cool" I suppose.

13. I disagree, my coleman is from the 1960s, works flawlessly either by white gas or with the new propane converter and takes 30 seconds to hook up. I have been on more than 1 trip where a partner had a maintenance issue. To each his own. I am just pointing out my experience using stoves for work camping many days per year with a $30 stove. Truth through repetion is amazing, I guess you really have to keep telling yourself something to believe the partner really is better, will last longer and has less maintenance issues than my stove that is probably older than you, and defenitley older than me. I am sure your $255 stove also works well. My good boating friend actualy had a 4 burner he bootied from the bottom of blossom on the Rogue, he also has cheap 2 burner stansport (I believe) that he also loves. One stove is great for big groups, one is great for a trip with only a few peeps and less room. By all means, get a big fat partner if you intend to cook for a big group on a regular basis. if you are like me and go with small groups on adventurous techincal water where space, weight and reliabilty are serious matters, there are plenty of options for under $50.

14. lest there be any more dispareging comments about the trusty colmen stove,

A pictoral ode to the Trusty Green cooker toted by generations down rivers, through woods, and over dales:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh dam, howed that get in there! and with the total recalled Lite Cylinder to boot!
    [​IMG]

15. Where did you get the bronze looking canister for your stove?

Also, do you have any pics with the converter? Do you just hook it up to a regular propane tank or do you use the little green bottles?

I have an old white gas, two burner Coleman that I rescued from Value Village for $10. Love the simplicity. You can always find them at garage sales or thrift stores. New ones are REI run $120.

16. That stove looks so old that Patton must have carried it in WW2.

17. Found a picture of mine.
    IMG_8417.JPG

18. I have a converter for mine too. I also still have the fuel tank. I like being able to run what ever fuel I want. Propane,white gas or plain old unleaded!

19. The bronze whitegas canister came with the stove, it is a very old model stove and I got it off craigslist about 7 years ago for $15 and have used the hell out of it. This photo is from 5 years ago boating on the Owyhee.
    [​IMG]

I recently shifted over to propane, as I installed a SMEV brand sink stove combo in my popup cab over camper for my truck. So I was thinking of going propane for my river stove too. I little research and I found the propane converter for white gas stoves. There are 2 brands, one gets bad reviews on Amazon due to poor flame control, the other one Stansport makes and the flame control is excellent. It appears to be well made and not flimsy. I do have to wrap a piece of copper wire around the generator to more securly support it, which is easy to do. Latter on, I will make a more burly hook system to support the generator better. The spring keeps the generator pipe into the stove burner connection, the wire helps keep the whole thing more snug and wiggle proof. I have a bulk tank, but don't have the hose yet. I have used the green bottles and just need to get over to Bimart to get the correct hose.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kent Lufkin and constructeur like this.