Range finder

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Bob Rankin, May 10, 2013.

1. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Active Member

Hi there

Im looking for a used range finder if anyone has one to sell or trade. And what is a good one for up to 600 yards? Any info would help.

Bob

2. Chris Selvar

Chris Selvar Member

Mine isn't forsale but I use a Nikon Monarch 1200, I think I found it on sale at Tri-state over in Idaho while I was attending WSU... I want to say I paid right around $350OTD for it. It works great, takes about a second to range an object, nikon says it will work up to 1200 yards, I've had it display 1450 yards before. the only downside is if you are trying to range say a grassy hillside from anything over 800 yards or so it will not work (something about the laser does not have a solid surface to reflect of off), so you have to find a tree trunk or rock on the hill to range instead. For hunting use I only use to to range various zones if I am doing a sit and wait hunt, or if I see something at 400+ yards. Combo'd with my NXS 5.5-22x50 with an MLR reticle it makes almost a sure shot for anything under 800yards

3. WonkyWapiti

WonkyWapiti Member

I'll second Selvar's recommendation for the Nikon 1200 which I own as well. I've thought about buying a smaller one with angle compensation for use during archery season but the Nikon 1200 has served me well for archery, muzzleloader, and rifle seasons. The only drawback I have seen is that in really low light situation with a dark background (such as at last light in thick canopy) it can be pretty hard to read the numbers. However I'm talking about really at last light so it's not that big of an issue for most of your hunting. Most of my last light hunting I've usually already been set up for an ambush and have already pre ranged all my yardages in the event something comes in.