Recommendations for April Excursion

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jrbecca, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jrbecca

jrbecca New Member

I'm looking for recommendations for a late April fly fishing excursion, preferably guided, for two beginning fly fishers with only trout experience (bring on the bigger fish!). Ideally, a remote destination is preferred; however, we will need to be within 1 hour driving distance of a well-equipped hospital. We've discussed a desire to travel within northern Washington, southwestern Canada, or even parts of Alaska.

Without having too many wants and needs beyond this, I welcome any suggestions for regions, watersheds, or guiding services. Thank you!

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Are we talking stillwater or moving...? That helps narrow the choices.

3. jrbecca

jrbecca New Member

Moving, please.

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    You might consider the greater Missoula area: the city for the hospital requirement and a wide variety of rivers with varying degrees of remoteness within an hour or so of town.

Jim Speaker likes this.
  5. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I agree with Itchy. April can be great in Montana, at least at the lower elevations. It is pre-runoff, so water will be easily waded or floated. The early stoneflies and blue-winged olives should be out and the fish looking up, and there crowds of fisherman will be sparse.

Itchy Dog likes this.
  6. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    If you're near the puget sound make sure get some practice casting in fishing for searuns during the salmon fry emergence/migration in march. Then take that experience to some of the larger rivers suggested and fish streamers if you want bigger fish not that you can't get big fish on nymphs and dries.
    But IMO spring is bug time, get some good dry fly fishing at one of the thousands of choice destinations in april without worrying about size and then when salmon season hits late summer you can switch your attention to getting big fish.
    Guides are great, but going fishing on your own more often before your trip and working out some of the kinks will make it more enjoyable and more likely that you will hook and land more and better fish on your big trip.
    Good luck planning and stop by a local fly shop and tell them what you want to do. They'll have the current knowledge and probably a hundred good guides to reccomend throughout the NW

7. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    That would be a good time to hit E. WA spring creeks, maybe check with Silver Bow shop in Spokane.

Study up on the Channeled Scablands Geology and make it a complete experience.

8. deansie

deansie Member

Missoula is great but for guys w/ only trout experience and bring on the big fish, look into the Florida keys. Warms up down there that time of year, tarpon start moving along w/ some of the other fish in the area and super chill bars, lodging etc

Builder likes this.
  9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Most of those aren't open until June. Yet I've noticed it doesn't seem to matter and most fish them anyway.

10. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    If big trout are your goal, another April destination could be Casper, WY to fish the tailwaters of the North Platte.

11. jrbecca

jrbecca New Member

I wanted to take a moment and thank each of you for your suggestions. I am in conversation with a lodge in Montana, although our timeline moved up a month to March--so I'm not sure how much fishing we'll do as opposed to curling up by the fire and trying not to freeze (could be equally fun!).

All of your suggestions have been noted are are much appreciated. Thank you!