Redington Waders

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Robert Engleheart, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    The Patagonias are getting a bit long in the tooth and my prostrate's dropping some serious hints about the zip-front models.The Redington Sonic Seam zip front look like something I'd like as well as being over $300 less than the other zip fronts. Anyone tried them? The Simms are out of the question pricewise. I've never dealt with Redington, good warranty service?
  2. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +190 / 0
    http://www.redington.com/support/warranty/
    Our Waders are covered by a one-year warranty against defects in material and workmanship. Any claim against this warranty must include a dated proof of purchase. This warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the product only, and does not cover direct, indirect, consequential, incidental or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the product. This warranty does not cover misuse, neglect, fire, theft, loss, or intentional damage. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state. Redington reserves the right to determine whether to repair or replace any Redington Product covered by this warranty and the right to replace any discontinued models with the newer models when necessary. Colors may vary between original and replacement parts. In order to invoke this warranty, the original owner must send the entire Redington product, freight paid and insured to the Bainbridge Island address listed below. All waders and wading boots must be washed and cleaned prior to sending the product back to Redington. To service your Redington product, you must fill out the Warranty Service Form. Please follow the instructions stated below and be sure to include this form in the package. Thank you!
  3. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    I've been wearing the non zipper Sonic Pros for a little over a year now. No issues, great fit and super comfortable.
    Ever since Far Bank acquired Redington the customer service has been top notch.
  4. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +147 / 0
    Agreed. Ive sent in several pairs of waders thru Redington in the last few years. Every time, I have received a brand new pair of waders.... and in less than 10 days!
  5. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,213 / 4
    I am just finishing my first month of hard use on the non-zip model and have nothing but good to say. First pair leaked pretty much right out of the box. Exchanged no questions asked and have loved this pair since. The fit is great, the shoulder straps are comfy, the pockets are nice, and they keep me dry. Paired with a pair of Korkers Chrome I picked up a couple weeks after the waders and I couldn't be happier
  6. Cedar Active Member

South King
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    I'm pretty sure that Orvis is releasing a zip front version of their sonic seam waders in the near future. I think they came up with the technology and licensed it to Redington. I figure that the price points will be comparable and Orvis' customer service is hard to beat.
    flybill and rory like this.
  7. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +272 / 0
    Another happy non-zip sonic pro owner here. They are awesome waders and Redington's service and warranty is top notch. As Stonefish said, Far Bank owns Redington along with Sage and Rio. They are local to me so I have the option of stopping by for warranty exchanges which makes Redington and Sage that much more appealing. Sci Guy has the zip front zersion so maybe he'll jump in here with his thoughts. I kind of wish I would have gone that route as the zipper seems handy.
  8. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,213 / 4
    I was giving the zipper front model some serious thought as I too thought that looked appealing, until Bill at Peninsula Outfitters talked me out of it. He put it basically that unless you're 70 and need to pee every 10 minutes, it really isn't worth the extra hundred bucks. Still seems like it would be kinda sweet, but really for an extra 100 bucks I think I'll deal with the hassle of having to pull them down.
  9. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +345 / 5
    I reviewed several wader makes/models last winter, using a handful of hard-core testers (male and female). Everyone loved the Redington waders. Women especially loved that Redington nailed the sizing and fit for women, but durability, fit and function scored high for both genders.

As has been stated above, the sonic welding technology used by Redington was developed and patented by Orvis. Redington bought license-rights to use the technology. After my review was published, I did get ahold of some Orvis waders and I would rank them up there with Simms in durability and toughness, and right with Redington in fit and function. They do have a zip-front version available now (or will be soon), and they have the best 'conversion' system to you tuck the chest section down out of the way to create waist-high wading pants. All at a great price.

Looking at today's offerings, I'd advise you to try on the Redington and Orvis models. Whichever fits best is what you should get.

http://www.adventuresnw.net/2012/02/wader-reviews/

http://www.orvis.com/store/product....p_id=777&cat_id=18940&subcat_id=18941&scrdr=1
  10. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Thanks to all for the input. Not having an Orvis store nearby to try them on tilts me toward the Redingtons as I can try the Redingtons on (not in Zip-front) at Sport Chalet and order from the Net. Any warranty concerns would be addressed by mail, regardless of Orvis or Redington. One reason I went with Patagonia on my existing waders was their service; they stand behind their product long after warranty has expired. The connection 'tween Orvis & Redington as described by Dan is what I suspected, so it follows the waders should be very similar.
  11. John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Olympia
    Ratings: +182 / 1
    I bought my wife the Zip up redingtons earlier this year and she loves them. They have worked like a champ for her.
  12. Chad Theismann &(*^$&%

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've had the zips for about 1.5 years (I'm guessing about 40-50 trips). I have been very happy, great waders. I was skeptical about spending the extra $100 for the zipper, I'm very glad I did. Great convenience for peeing but I like the ventilation the best. Good luck, Chad
  13. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,093 / 0
    Robert, since I am in my mid seventies I too am making more frequent trips to the bank to download. My solution was to buy waist high waders since I don't do any hero wading anymore. Since the day I bought them two years ago I haven't had my Simms chest highs on except to drive my snowplow when it is snowing.. The waist highs are cool and comfortable like a nice pair of slacks but far easier to pee out of than chest highs where you have to take off your vest, pull down the straps, etc,etc.

Remarkably, I got mine from LL Bean for $79 on sale and have been extremely pleased with their performance so far. A hundred bucks for a zipper is not that outrageous though, if it saved you just one embarrassing accident it would be well worth it!

Ive
  14. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +345 / 5
    I agree, Chad. Having the ability to drop the zipper for a little ventilation during the heat of the afternoon is a well worth the extra $$. I love the zip front models!
  15. Smalma Active Member

Marysville, Washington
    Ratings: +705 / 0
    I had pair of reddingtons with the zipper and got about two years of use out of them; never a problem with the zipper. After more 200 miles of hiking the nerophrene bootie gave out -numerous seeping leaks.

I would recommend them and the zipper was really handy. Should be able to get years of good service out of them unless you are stream hiking fanatic like myself in which case they held up as well as most top quality waders.

Curt
  16. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +237 / 3
    I'll echo what has been said several times, but add a bit from Ive's statement. Unless you need chest high waders for deep wading I would highly recommend the Redington waist highs. Same great seamless construction and fit, come with 2 pockets to hold your keys and junk, great adjustment at the waist and come with a removable pair of light suspenders if you want them, and most importantly a piece of cake to loosen and slide down an inch or two when you need to relieve yourself.
  17. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +119 / 0
    Considering they're the holding company for Sage, RIO and Redington ... I'd expect nothing but top end service/products.
  18. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,263 / 1
    If you ever used any Redington products or their service before Far Bank acquired them, you'll understand why I made that statement.
  19. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Pulled the trigger on a pair of Redingtons, the zipper was the deal. Never thought of the ventilation side of it, but a good one.