"Rediscovering" Old Patterns

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thom Collins, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Nice looking ties, Jim. You are inspiring me to tie a few for an upcoming Idaho trip.
    D

Jim Speaker likes this.
  2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

This thread has been educational and inspiring for me. However, I'm so slow at tying, that I can barely get past tying up a few for my own immediate needs.
    Some of those older patterns, and many more interesting ones can be found in Les Johnson's first book about fishing for Coastal Cutthroat:

How To Fish For: Sea-Run Cutthroat Trout, by Les Johnson, originally published by Frank Amato Publications back in 1979, with a second printing in 1988.

When I picked up the last new copy that was for sale in Water's West several years ago, I was told that the book is out of print.
    Les also discusses fishing with a spinning rod and conventional gear, but the color plates of the flies along with the accompanying recipes are well worth the cost of the book.
    If you can pick up a good used copy, I'd go for it!

3. floydiology

floydiology board to the new

My childhood fly tying reference book was Family Circles Guide to Trout Flies.
    [​IMG]

I would play sick just so I could stay home from school and tie new patterns from this book. My fly fishing obsessions started when I was in fifth grade. I had a list a mile long of tying materials I was on the hunt for but had to make many substitutions as a kid. Growing up in farming/ranching country many of my neighbors raised various species of birds. I was allowed to scour to coops in search of the right kind of feathers. I am sure glad I don't have to do that anymore.

I am still looking for those old classics that will work as well as our modern imitative patterns to add some flavor and charm to my stuffed fly boxes. Sometimes, I like to fish with pair a classic fly with a vintage cane rod and an 80 year old Hardy Perfect. Some old classics that have never gone away - depending on what constitutes "old" and "classic" and geographical location - are flies like the Prince Nymph or Hares Ear Nymph. I don't see too many people fussing about the Alaxanrda, but it is a serious contender for the title of Prince in my fly box, perhaps, the title of Princess is more apropos. It's one of those flies that is attractive to the angler is it is a fish catcher.

Alexandra for sea run cutthroat.

[​IMG]

I decided to whip up a few of Red Quills - Catskill classic - to throw into my fly box in case I encounter the fall Paraleptophlebia hatch on the Deschutes. Of course, the proportions on this fly are wrong for a catskill fly, as the tail is too thick, the hackle too wide and the hook too short. This is a western proportioned dry fly.

[​IMG]

I saw that the Stove Pipe has already been featured. I too, am of the "Stove Pipe Generation" of Metolius anglers that will remember when the General Store sold this fly as if it was manna from heaven. The technique for fishing it was also very odd as the fly was cast downstream, rod tip submerged to the substrate and the fly slowly retrieved upstream against the current. I think I was being had by an old fart that claimed this was the way to fish it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Jim, if you want to meet me at Mill Creek, I will let you peruse my copy of the Roy's book. Give me a call if you do. Besides, I want to go back to fondle that reel in the fly shop.

Roy wrote a companion book, TIE YOUR OWN FLIES. I think I gave my copy to my Grandson.
    Need to see if he still has it. Good information, as all of Roy's was.

Starting out, I loved the Nyerges Nymph at Dry Falls, but have not fished it or the lake in lo all these years. I suspect that it will still work in other waters.

5. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

John
    A great selection, beautifully tied. Thanks for posting them here.

TC

6. Olive bugger

Perhaps if the ghillie is not looking and the rise is downstream, you could get away with it.

7. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Here's one of many Carey variations. This one is #12 with small oval tinsel, peacock and india hen saddle, for stillwater this weekend.

[​IMG]

Gary Knowels and Patrick Gould like this.
  8. Olive bugger

A question Jim. The Carey, to me, is a more torpedo shaped body, with a swept back collar. Still a good looking bug, and the proof is in the fishing.

Being uneducated as I am, I tie mine with pheasant tail tied tight to the body. My body is like a cigar.

But then again, what the heck do I know. Just an observation.

9. Jim Speaker

Thus my saying one of the many variations. I tie Careys also, and more frequently these days, with the pheasant body and no rib at all. A Carey, per Patricks book, can be just damn near anything, except I see the error in my ways in that I have completely omitted the tail. Hm... yeah. Omitted the tail. Oh well... page 5 of Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns.

10. Jim Speaker

By the way, I started tying this variation in pheasant tail really pure and simple with pheasant tail body and india hen hackle because it looked just like an old fly of my grandpa's that I have in a piece of cork. Maybe the tail fibers disintegrated over time and broke off, as they often do. I have a really old Professor with no tail for the same reason.

11. Olive bugger

That is the nice thing about tying flies; only you and the fish are the only ones that have to be satisfied with it.

I like the pattern. it is just different from mine.
    Probably that is a good omen.

12. Jim Speaker

One of the sayings I have perhaps coined as I've started to tie and fish classics is, "fish have no sense of fashion." They eat old classics that are natural colors and have only the right shape and movement just as well as the eat a purple haze. :)

Gary Knowels and Thom Collins like this.
  13. Tim Cottage

They may not have a sense of fashion but certainly they have a well developed sense of style. As you pointed out, as often as not one only needs to appeal to the overall style (shape and movement) to attract them. I've never used a purple haze, at least not for fishing but I'm sure they would work.

Is a #32 midge version called a purple microdot?

TC

14. Jim Speaker

Crap, let's not get you on the topic of flash backs! Lol

15. Tim Cottage

Lol! But back on topic, I like your Carey version. It has a ye olde look to it. Its hard to beat basic peacock and mottled hackle with or without ribs, tails, or any other parts. I tie many variations using those two basic materials. I name them all insert-the-name-of-a-favorite-lake-here Special.

I've done this so many times I can no longer remember which is which. If someone looks at one and says "is that the calligan lake special" I just say yes.

TC

16. Jim Speaker

That's funny. It's funny cuz it's true!

17. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Last week I fished a favorite lake. I caught six trout and these are the flies I used: Henryville Special, Alexandra, Tellico Nymph, Woolly Worm, Humpy.
    Jack
    PS I left out a Spruce Fly.

Thom Collins and Bob Triggs like this.
  18. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

house and lot.jpg The house and lot

19. GAT

GAT Active Member

This just in from the NSA. All the trout have met for their annual conference to decide which fly patterns they will no longer attempt to eat. It doesn't look good for the Quill Gordon.

Thom Collins likes this.
  20. Jim Speaker

I got a small coho from a lake on a Mountain Thunder last weekend.

A bit after that I got a decent cutthroat on a really natural PT-body, India hen hackled soft hackle.