Redo - Wild Irishman

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Mar 22, 2013.

1. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Did some things different
    1. smaller hook at 2/0 rather than 3/0
    2. skinnier body
    3. Narrower tinsels for ribs
    4. longer body hackle, which shows up better now
    5. Tippet in strands for the under wing.
    6. different wing construction - more modern style, to show banskian sub
    7. pintail sides rather than teal
    8. smaller roof
    9. lower wing setting.

This is the new one.
    [IMG]

Pre roof, sides, topping etc
    [IMG]

the fly from last week.
    [IMG]
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,116 / 0
    Oh yeah, I can certainly tell the difference.... NOT! There was nothing wrong with the first one! Geeezus... You know, there is a mental condition that you Atlantic Salmon fly tyers must all suffer from. Sheeesh. You guys do know that if you toss them in a river they never look the same as they do when dry... if you're not using the patterns, what are you doing with them?

Well, like I've said before, you can send all your rejects to me... I'll toss them in the trash for you. :D (all in jest)
  3. S Fontinalis Active Member

Gene
    my salmon flies end up in purgatory...apart from the odd one that gets purchased.

[IMG]
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Good grief... you tie those beautiful flies and then toss them all together in a plastic box! No respect... poor cast off ol' Atlantic Salmon Flies treated like socks in a drawer.
  5. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +322 / 0
    I see a board raffle coming! ;-)

Very nice work, both versions. Thanks for sharing the photos.
  6. S Fontinalis Active Member

If you guys want to have a board raffle, i'll donate a fly, if Mark Mercer donates one too.
    Mark Mercer, Jeff Dodd and Kcahill like this.
  7. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +255 / 2
    You sure you want to do that, someone might have a heart attack if GAT posts a picture of a big ol oregon bass with a fancy atlantic salmon fly in its mouth :eek:
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I like the idea but if it's a raffle... who gets the cash? Plus, how would guys buy a ticket? Is the site set up to take credit cards or Pay Pal?
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    And I would too... even if I had to photoshop it :p
    Kcahill likes this.
  10. S Fontinalis Active Member

I"ve no idea how it would work. Maybe mods/owner can weigh in. I'm not after cash, i assumed fund would go to site maintenance.
  11. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +322 / 0
    Now I was just joking about you giving away the flies you have invested so much time into!

But... It could be a no cash deal, just pull a name from anyone that responds to a tread. Didn't BigE do this recently with a dozen fly lot?

Anyway, if you post I hope I am reading the post!
  12. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +465 / 0
    So Gene, you think we suffer from a mental disorder? You're probably right..... or at least I'm pretty sure we do.
    Eunan, thats horrible to through those beautiful flies in a plastic box, I have to agree with Gene on that one. I very carefully stick mine in old pieces of foam and put them anywhere I can find a spot, but I do so carefully. Ha!!!

Good looking fly Eunan, I really do like it better the "second time around'" Wings are really nice, way to go!
    And yes I'd though a fly in as well. I haven't tried tippets in strands yet, something I need to try.

Mark
  13. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +350 / 0
    Gene, you make me smile. Eunan you make me gasp with admiration.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  14. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Psychology was my major in college... the disorder is called "Compulsive Obsessive Disorder" or COD... no wait, that's a fish in the ocean... maybe it's "Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" or OCD... anyway, there's a name for it. If you look it up in a text book, there's a photo of someone tying an Atlantic Salmon Fly pattern. :D:D

(I'm just jealous that I can't tie that well.)