reel for redington link 6wt

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jpfish, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Jpfish Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    I just picked up a redington link 6wt and now need to get a reel for it. Im thinking redington drift/orvis battenkill click reel or redington rise reel. Does anyone have this rod with a reel they really like or have any input on the 3 reels I listed?
    Thanks for any help
  2. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +166 / 0
    What kind of fish are you planning on targeting? If it's going go be a streamer/salt/pinks/bass rod I would recommend a good, sealed disc drag like a Lamson Konic/Guru. The Orvis click reel should do if you just fish dry flies for average size fish. They make a very nice reel for the money.
    Olive bugger likes this.
  3. Roger Nott New Member

Ratings: +18 / 0
    While the three reels you listed have a lot in common, mass is not one of them (roughly 3oz vs. 4oz vs. 5oz). Since you list a specific rod as opposed to fishing environment is that the crux of the question? Figuring 100 yd of backing and 6wt line is going to fall between 1 – 1.25 oz, do you have a reel that mimics at least one or two of those in lined up total mass that you can mount? I read a review on the 9' 7wt version of this rod using an appropriate Rise reel and the review was very favorable. It might be a bit of a stretch but if we assume that the 6wt with the Rise 5/6 is a good combination then I’d say that the Orvis will not be a good match (2oz delta in mass) and would result in a very tip heavy system. I really like the Battenkill but if you don’t have a rod that matches up with a 3 oz reel ……..
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,010 / 0
    I recently bought a Redington Pursuit 8wt combo specifically for a trip targeting BIG trout in a northern Nevada reservoir. I mostly fish trouty weights (4-6wt) so I wasn't interested in breaking the bank for a heavier setup that might get used just once or twice a year.

While I loved the Redington rod, the reel left a bit to be desired. Here's why: Although the frame is aluminum, it's just cast aluminum as opposed to machined bar stock, and the spool is molded plastic. With a big fish on the end, the reel had a tendency to bind and make odd grinding sounds, probably from it being distorted from the super-sized pull on the other end of the line.

I understand you're talking about a 6wt not an 8wt and that you may well likely not be dealing with 25" fish. But if it was me, I'd lean towards a bit more substantial reel. The Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock might be a good choice.

K
  5. Jordan Simpson Active Member

Tsawwassen, BC
    Ratings: +45 / 1
    The Redington Drift is an awesome reel for the price, and is probably one of my favourite trout reels- it's not pricey, it's machined, and has a fun trouty click. The drag isn't anything special, especially being a click/pawl drag, but it's good enough to keep your line from over-spooling. One thing I would suggest is getting it in a size up. I have the 5/6 Drift and it's more of a 4/5 in all honesty.
  6. Jpfish Member

Ratings: +4 / 0
    Sorry I forgot to add what kind of fishing I was planning on doing with this set up. It will be used most for trout in rivers, streamers and big nymph set ups and possibly for small mouth bass.
  7. MountainR New Member

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I just picked up a 9'6" 6wt redington link on monday and paired it with a lamson litespeed 3x. I have yet to line it up but I'm pretty excited about the set-up.

There are some great deals on lamson products at backcountry.com right now.