Reel for spey?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Cole L, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

Looking to get a 6wt or 7wt spey but also want a reel to fit an 8wt single hander. Was looking at the Lamson konic 3.5. Would that be a good fit for both or should I go with something bigger?

2. Rick Sharp

Rick Sharp Member

Might be happier with the 4

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

3. liltanker32

liltanker32 Member

hatch 7 plus all the way

4. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Go bigger than the 3.5.

fredaevans likes this.
  5. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

I think it depends on the rod you choose.

Some 6 weights act likes 6's and some 7's act like 8's. Heavier grain Skagit lines eat space on a reel. I think you would do well to chat with a good shop in your area and figure out target species, rivers you want to fish, etc.

I'm a little biased; but, good advice, and perhaps a little more money up front, will definitely save you heartache and frustration in the long run.
    Cheers,
    Ed

fredaevans likes this.
  6. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

If you are looking at the Konic I would go with the #4
    The 3.5 would fit your single handed rod but come up small on your spey rod, assuming you are talking about a 13'ish sized spey

7. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I have the 4. It may be small for an 8 weight Skagit head. It is a nice reel and the cost of the spools won't kill you.

Wayne

8. Chawhee

Chawhee Active Member

Guru 4

9. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Have no idea what your budget is but 'Google "SpeyCo"fly reels. These are bullet proof and you could pound nails with the things. If you're not a member of the SpeyPages Forum sign up, they frequently come up for sale. As does a heck of a lot of other first class equipment.

10. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

Got an econ ion 8/10 for a 6wt spey i think. Its gonna be a while before i can afford it though

11. Cole L

Cole L Fish Fiend

Echo*

12. macSuibhne

macSuibhne Member

I have a 3.5" Lamson Velocity nickel in the classified...pristine condition...no scratches or dings for roughly 25% off. these are beautiful reels, almost indestructible open warranty and great disc drag. This one is just a little small for me although it is rated for a 9wt and 200 yds of 20#

13. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

14. Lamson Guru 4....love mine.