reel tough wading boots

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by BARTOLOTTI, Feb 2, 2003.

1. BARTOLOTTI

BARTOLOTTI New Member

I would like to make a positive post on fly fishing gear. Obviously you get what you pay for, and if not, as we have all found out warranties and guarantees are most likely only as good as the companies reputation. In terms of boots under/around $80.00-$100.00, I went with the Cabela's Master Guide Wading Boot. One for price, let's face it we all have limits, second because Cabela's said they were tough as nails and their guides tested them, and showed a photo of the worn boot, third because of that guarantee thing. I thought if that story and photo are a fib, then too bad for Cabela's it will be free rental until the right pair. I hate to do that for several reasons, mainly because I don't want any down time. Well, over a year later, and several, several miles, (about six or seven I don't want to talk about...stupid truck!...nice talk with the Lord though) anyways, constantly pounded and these things look new!! Except, the laces and the wear there I will take the blame for being lazy and in a hurry and pulling them tight from the top. I am actually wondering how Cabela's made their pair look so worn. The only draw back is they are a little heavy. My wife has the Ultralight Wading Boot by Cabela's and no complaints. The Master Guide sells for $69.95 and the Ultralights are $49.95. Hodgman Bantam Weights are $59.95 and are a waste of money. Spend the extra $10.00. Those Danners are like $119.00 on sale and I bet they are nice. Remember some waterways and states have wading restrictions as far as spikes, so just heads up. I actually have a pretty easy and inexpensive way to add removable spikes, if anyone wants to know.
    Well, best of wading to all and have wading limits! A four hundred dollar pair of wading boots don't mean a whole lot if they're not attatched to the Rock!

><>glen

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

I don't know why everone wants to spend so much on fly fishing gear. I've had a pair of light weight waders not breathables mind you just light weight and they lasted for about 6 years and I fought a lot of blackberry bushes and brambles in them. Price $65.00 Bare. And as for wading boots I got some by Hodgman with studs for the grand price of $45.00. But I retired my waders as they were getting old and starting to get pin hole leaks and got some waders by Hodgman,guide pants. The breathable ones waist high. Not a lot for them either. I guess that comes from being frugal and not wanting to spend a lot on gear. Beside getting old I propably don't have too many years left to fish.

3. crockett

crockett New Member

Media:
    Yeah, but how much did it cost to add shark repellent to those waders?

-Crock:rofl

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all

I see that my fame is spreading far and wide:professor

Jim

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

What I wanted to add to my message is I got all of my junk down at Outdoor Emporium in Seattle. It's a lot closer that a catalog is and the prices aren't so bad.

Jim:thumb

6. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Where are studs illegal? Have I been breaking the law? Again? What about the Clark Fork? Oregon? Lots of goofy laws in Oregon.

7. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all

Probably on the 1st of April on all Washington Hiways.:p :p :p

Jim:beathead

8. sinktip

sinktip Guest

Glen,

The Cabela's Guide Boots are tough to beat. I had a pair that I got three years out of and two resoles before they finally rotted out. For me that is an eternity for boots. I agree that the grommets are hell on laces but those are cheap to replace.

I have two buddies that wear them now and fish quite a bit less than the 80-90 days/year I do and each of their's are on their third season with the original felt.

I have not been a fan of the Danner's but I know others like them. The Hodgman are not worth the money. I am currently wearing Chotas and they are nice but are not wearing near as well as the Cabelas.

My one complaint with the Cabela's is they don't come in a spiked version. I had mine resoled with spikes and they rocked.

sinktip

9. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Actually the Patagonia guide boot is even tougher to beat, they are about 1 pound lighter than the Cabela's guide boot, and they have a full shank in the sole with an excellent rocker, making them very comfortable to wear.

I bought some when they were recommended to me in the fall. They are amazing to wear. They have a big felt bottom, twice the size of my previous boots, making them extremely sure footed, and with the full shank my feet were in great condition after a full day on the Sky. :smokin

List price is $130 for these boots, but the big secret is that they are available at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ for $39.99. Search for Patagonia Wading Shoe. I bought mine at $59.99 a couple of months ago, and I am tempted to get a second pair at this price! :thumb

Happy wading!

10. BARTOLOTTI

BARTOLOTTI New Member

TightLoops,
    Thank you for the info. I like to hear what others have to say about gear. I don't have time to research everything and everyone. The one pound may not seem like much to some, but that depends on how much and far one wades. I don't think an angler could go wrong with buying any Patagonia product.
    Best of Fishing,
    ><> Glen

11. baseballandfishing

baseballandfishing New Member

Media:
    yea but too bad sierra trading post doesnt have my size. they dont have too many sizes.

12. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Pattagucci

I've got less than a year on my Patagonia boots (not the Beefy version) and the felt is shot, and the front rubber is popping off the sole. That said, I have a lot of days on them, and I'm not afraid to walk. I really like them, but bummed that they are falling apart. I might take them by the Seattle store and see what they can do.Picked them up for $55 from the Trading Post, so can't complain too much.

13. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
  14. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    IMHO

Dude, matching colors is tres chic, just like tie dyed Able reels, and titanium line nippers.

:thumb

15. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    IMHO

So there seems to be alot of experience out there with these Cabela's Master Guide's Wading boots. I'm looking into ordering some today. Does anyone have any sizing recommendations? I'm a 10.5---should I go 10 or 11?
    :dunno

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    IMHO

I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

I would go with the bigger size as you want your feet to have some room in the boots cause if the boots fit tight you feet get cold faster. I got a 10 last time I got boots and now with all I have on my feet I should of gotten a size 11.

Jim

17. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    IMHO

Thanks Jim
    that's what I expected but I wanted to make sure with some folks who'd put 'em on their feet.

18. pwoens

pwoens Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    IMHO

I second that notion...1/2 to 1 size larger for sock room...not only for warmth but also cushion...just dont go too big.

~Patrick ><>

19. Surf_Candy

Surf_Candy Member

Media:
    IMHO

One thing to look for is the lace system - I have Chota with the spikes and quick lace system- I can be in my boots for about 15 seconds per foot - but if you hike a lot to get to fishing areas, they are probably not the best since you cannot keep them dogged down tightly.

Jim

20. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    IMHO

I've had the same thought about my Chota's. Thought I might change out the laces so I can clamp 'em down. Maybe a nice color to go with my tianium nippers. It would be so tres chic. But really, I've wondered if that is why I get gravel inside my boots. I know why I have gravel inside my head, frickin' Army anyway.

Matt

"Everyday that you wake up and decide not to go fishing...is one less day you'll go fishing." Forrest Maxwell