Remove rubber heat shrink tubing from rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by t_law, Mar 7, 2013.

1. t_law Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    Hey guys,
    not sure if this is the right place to post this but figured you rod builders may have seen something like this before. I just purchased a nice 590-4 Z-axis rod from a guy who, after paying close to $1000 to have this rod custom made, put 2-3" pieces of rubber heat shrink tubing on the rod sections in order to give him a better grip when breaking the rod down. It's not that big of a deal to me but i would like to remove them if at all possible without compromising the integrity of the rod. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
  2. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    Some heat shrink can be a pain to take off depending on what sized he used. Some rubber you can use your fingernail to scrape & lift the edge of it then start working it to strech it back out. You could always use a razor blade to score the heat shrink and then start to pick it apart. But I do have to tell you with a razor you do run the risk of cutting into the blank and you would end up with a $1000 oops so you have to have a steady hand.
  3. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    If using a blade, do not cut all the way through. Also, you only need to score a very small piece and then seperate the pieces and start to peel
  4. t_law Member

Seattle, WA
    Any chance that the finish on the rod will peel away or become damaged in any way when I'm pulling the tubing off?
  5. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    The shrink tube will just peel off like a glove and it should not be bonded to the blank.
  6. t_law Member

Seattle, WA
    Ok, thanks for the info.