Removing Pinbones - Cool Tip

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by JesseC, Sep 22, 2013.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I hadn't seen this before so I thought I'd share it. Works great and was a lot less destructive to the flesh. Skip to 4:40

Starman77, Phil Fravel and plaegreid like this.
  2. ken2cross

ken2cross Member

Thanks nice share. The vegetable peeler is worth the price of admission.
    Ken

3. Speyrod GB

Speyrod GB Member

Very cool. Thanks.

4. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Another good tip to learn.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I will try that. Normally I use pliers.

Duane J likes this.
  6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

He through away the belly meat the best part:(

7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

and the collar

8. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I'll have to try the peeler trick. Thanks!

9. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Waaaaaaaay too much work. I just use a very fine filet knife and cut down each side of the bone lineup. If you do it right, the filet looks fine when you're done and it only takes about 20 seconds.

10. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

I've been using a pair of mini-longnose pliers that fit my hand just right and do the job fine on the pinbones. I'll give the peeler trick a try next time.
    Learned something new about river caught Pinks last time, though. Those pin bones get soft and start breaking no matter how gently you pull. I now have 4 fillets worth of smoked pink with "pinbones!" label on them.

11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Ha! I'll have to give that a try. I've been lazy and leaving the pin bones in, and picking them out when I eat the meat.

12. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Can you post a video to illustrate? I cut out the pin bones with all other fish but I find the pin bones in salmonoids don't have a consistent direction so I end up cutting bones or wasting a lot of meat. I would love to find something less tedious than pliers or tweezers. The veg peeler doesn't look like a huge improvement to me, but handy if you don't have any other tools available.

IMHO leaving the filet in the fridge for at least a day lets the meat soften from rigor and makes bone pulling much easier: I doubt that Atlantic salmon in the video is less than 24hrs old. Pulling pins is also easier on a thawed filet.

13. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

I haven't taken any videos. I'll see if I can scratch up a hatchery steelhead or a coho from the local ditch this week and show everyone. it's really easy.

14. FerrousTortoise

FerrousTortoise Hana Pa`a

Out of laziness I started leaving the pinbones in when freezing filets and have also found pulling the pins easier on a thawed filet.

15. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

As I not only do the fish cleaning but also the cooking I always just leave the pin bones in when I clean the fish which is always done outside. I remove the pin bones as I getting the fish ready to cook. Since this is the way I always have done it I didn't know it made them come out easier. Dumb luck. Give me lots of luck over a little skill every time.

16. Jordan Simpson

Jordan Simpson Active Member

That guy put way too much time into filleting and taking out the belly bones. We fillet and take out the belly bones at the lodge I work at and it takes about 20 seconds from from start to finish. He also cut off the bellies. The bellies are one of the best parts as well as the collar.
    The little tip with the veggie peeler was pretty cool though. I am going to try that with my next fish.

17. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

I will give this veggy peeler trick a try also. The fish had been frozen, and that makes pin bone removal much easier. I don't think the veggy peeler works on fresh fish as mbowrs mentioned.

18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I imagine that when not making a video, he is able to fillet a bit faster than that. He also scraped some of the meat off after the first cut and talked about using it for tartar so even though he cut the belly and collar off I don't imagine that he chucked it. He does mention more than once saving as much meat as possible.

Cool trick.