Resident coho fisheries not happening yet!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

About this time of year I am always anxious to check out the winter resident coho fisheries. So I went out fishing last week at a couple of locations that usually have resident coho by late Nov.through early Feb. Last year in mid-Nov. resident coho were nice fat 14 to 15 in. fish which was larger than most years.

I fished 4 locations and found resident coho at 2 spots. At the first location a small resident coho(approx. 12 in.) was hooked but not landed. No fish were seen swirling/jumping. At the second location, 1 or 2 resident coho would be seen occasionally jumping every 5 to 10 minutes. A couple of fish looked to be 14 to 15 in. I never hooked any hooked any fish at this location.

The encouraging news was that bonaparte gulls were seen feeding at quit a few locations on amphipods(reddish/brown scud like 3/16 in. critters) as the gulls pecked on the water surface. Also, amphipods could be seen slowly spinning on the water surface. Amphipods are a major winter food source for resident coho. With a good food supply hopefully, resident coho will show up in numbers in the next few weeks.

Luckily I didn't get shunked as a nice sized sea-run cutthroat was landed but spit out the hook as I was fumbling with the camera.

Last Sat. the sea-run cuthroat fishing was pretty good at one location where a group of larger sized sea-run cutthroat( see photo) were willing to "play" for 10 to 15 minutes. Chum salmon seem to have moved into freshwater or estuary areas so sea-run cutthroat were more easily to be found at their preferred locations.

Roger

Attached Files:

Alexander likes this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge and findings, the saltwater game seems daunting at times and I'm still fairly new to it in the sense that I don't get around much, so your posts are helpful and keep me going.