Resident coho fisheries not happening yet!

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

About this time of year I am always anxious to check out the winter resident coho fisheries. So I went out fishing last week at a couple of locations that usually have resident coho by late Nov.through early Feb. Last year in mid-Nov. resident coho were nice fat 14 to 15 in. fish which was larger than most years.

I fished 4 locations and found resident coho at 2 spots. At the first location a small resident coho(approx. 12 in.) was hooked but not landed. No fish were seen swirling/jumping. At the second location, 1 or 2 resident coho would be seen occasionally jumping every 5 to 10 minutes. A couple of fish looked to be 14 to 15 in. I never hooked any hooked any fish at this location.

The encouraging news was that bonaparte gulls were seen feeding at quit a few locations on amphipods(reddish/brown scud like 3/16 in. critters) as the gulls pecked on the water surface. Also, amphipods could be seen slowly spinning on the water surface. Amphipods are a major winter food source for resident coho. With a good food supply hopefully, resident coho will show up in numbers in the next few weeks.

Luckily I didn't get shunked as a nice sized sea-run cutthroat was landed but spit out the hook as I was fumbling with the camera.

Last Sat. the sea-run cuthroat fishing was pretty good at one location where a group of larger sized sea-run cutthroat( see photo) were willing to "play" for 10 to 15 minutes. Chum salmon seem to have moved into freshwater or estuary areas so sea-run cutthroat were more easily to be found at their preferred locations.

Roger

Attached Files:

Alexander likes this.
  2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and findings, the saltwater game seems daunting at times and I'm still fairly new to it in the sense that I don't get around much, so your posts are helpful and keep me going.