Results of Rocky Ford trips...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by n1507l, Nov 1, 2001.

1. n1507l New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    FYI

I made 2 trips to RF this week. Fishing was moderate at best.

There was a pretty reliable BWO hatch starting at noon or one and lasting for a couple of hours. Got one HAWG on a BWO emerger as well as a few smaller fish (12" or so). Got a couple smaller fish on black leeches and olive scuds as well.

Had to fish hard - fish were not very active at all except during hatch, and then they were VERY picky. Had a few looks at pheasant tails and prince nymps, but no reliable action.

Nothing that I would consider consistent fishing action.

Just FYI.

Travis
  2. Woollyworm New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Is Rocky Ford typically a little slow this time of year?

I fished there 2 weeks ago, and while the river wasn't exactly on fire, the trout seemed pretty willing to take scuds. In fact, some of the fish in the big slow "pond" area below the footbridge reminded me of bonefish. Lost in greedy, shallow-water, scud-munching binges, their tails and dorsal fins could be seen bobbing above the surface. I managed to trick a few into biting by laying dark olive #16 imitations on the bottom and then giving a couple of very slight twitches whenever a scud-sucking pig roamed within range.
  3. n1507l New Member

Ratings: +1 / 0
    I had the same experience a couple of weeks ago, as well. Good action from some big fish. I know that a couple of frontal systems came in between that week and this week - may have something to do with it.