"Retro" glass on the cheap

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Jack Devlin, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

DSC01616.JPG New Eagle Claw Featherlight, 6'6" for 4/5 weight - $24.
    South Bend Finalist -$10 at the second hand store.
    I have always been a fan of the yellow rods and had a few over the years. The last one I had broke so I thought it was time for a new one. I like to have one handy as a loaner for beginners and non-fisherman. The new ones have a nicer reel seat and the rod is a hoot to use. Caught some trout with it last weekend. Most enjoyable.
    Jack

Tony Abaloney and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  2. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Glad to see someone else pushing those "yellow rods" other than me! You got good deals on both. Nice finds.

3. Jack Devlin

The rods are on Amazon. Start at $20.
    Jack

4. Brookie_Hunter

Nice to know. I have the new 6.5ft and 8ft Featherlight rods I got those two new for $30 total, shipped! The guy I got them from lost money on the deal. I've been thinking about getting the 7fter too. Can't go wrong at $20.

5. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

What weights do the featherlights come in? I have one of the 6'6" 4/5 and it's a great little rod. I hardly get to use it, though, because my wife has claimed it as her go-to small stream/bluegill rod. Do they make a 3wt version? Amazon lists a 3/4 and a 5/6, did they change up the line ratings on them at some point?

6. Jack Devlin

Something funny here.
    The Eagle Claw website lists 6'6" 3/4 wt., 7' 5/6 wt., 8' 5/6 wt. But, the 6'6" I just bought says 4/5 on the rod??????????
    I tried it out and it casts fine with either 4 or 5 wt lines.
    The Amazon listing is from the manufacturer so I would expect it to be the same and it is.
    Don't know what to tell you.
    Walmart also sells the rods but only the 7' and 8' .
    Jack

7. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Those are great little rods, I've always liked them even though I don't currently own one myself. The cork handle and reel-seat, on yours Jack, appear to have been changed. I don't think they come from the factory like that, or do they?

LB

8. Brookie_Hunter

The new 6'6" is definitively a 4/5wt casting but I've seen it mentioned as a 3/4wt too. Despite what the 8' says on the blank (e.g. 5/6 wt) I think it's more a 6/7 wt personally. I like mine best with DT7F line. Also for Papafish, these new Featherlights are much different from the Featherlights that have preceded it the last twenty years or so (e.g. FL-300's with the black graphite and all silver aluminum reel seats). The taper is much nicer, not noodly, and that annoying hinging you'd get when trying to get a lot of line out is absent. Also the real old Featherlights models from the 1960's and 70's for the most part are really nice too.

Jack Devlin likes this.
  9. Jack Devlin

That is the way they come now. I immediately treated the grip with cork seal.
    Jack

10. John Weston

John Weston Member

I have a Dawia 8' #7 that I bought in 1973, I beleave it's fg, would that be right? It's the only fly rod I have own and the only one I have ever fished with. thanks
    Outlaw

11. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

I "special-ordered" one from WalMart: when it arrived I immediately treated the handle with spit, pit-sweat and fish slime.

Gary Knowels and Kent Lufkin like this.
  12. Bonsai

Bonsai Jerry

Ron remind me not to admire that rod to close.

Jerry T

13. Jack Devlin

I guarantee you will get way more that $20+ worth of fun from one of these yellow rods. They are just plain fun to fish with and always were. Also, I find that they appeal to the "reverse snob" part of my personality.
    A few weeks ago, I fished the rod at a favorite lake of mine. I had just gotten my hip boots on and was about to make a cast when I was approached by two very well equipped and well seasoned fly fisherman. Seeing my "yellow" rod, I could sense that they assumed I was a beginner. They confirmed that feeling when they immediately started to "talk down" to me. It was quite obvious. Anyway, I played "dumb"(comes easy sometimes) for a bit. We chatted for a few minutes and when I finally had my fill of suggestions and advice, I punched out a perfect 40' foot cast and nailed a beautiful trout right in front of them.
    I like the yellow rods.
    Jack

Brookie_Hunter and Gary Knowels like this.
  14. Jack Devlin

Ron,
    If you will be attending Gary's get-together, please make sure to point out this rod. I want to make sure I don't pick it up.:)
    Jack

15. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Hey Jack-

I'd kinda like to go to this, but, to tell the truth, I'm a bit hesitant to go 'cause I think I'd be a bit uncomfortable among all the experts.....

If I do muster up the courage to go, I'll make sure the rod is clearly marked as being a biohazard.

Best, Ron

Gary Knowels likes this.
  16. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

Ron, I'm no expert. I just invite all the experts over under the guise of a fun get together. Really I just want to get them all in the same place so I can steal all of their secrets! It should be fun, but it will also be a very educational experience for this young, new flyfisherman.