Reverse Spiders and a Bait Fish Patter for SRC

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by james.jimenez, May 11, 2013.

1. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

These are my first SRC patterns. Looking for some pointers. Does anyone have any suggestion on patterns I should tie? Any info on these would be great.. Thanks everyone..

Attached Files:

2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    They look good to me and they will definitely work, there are so many patterns that will work for cutt's it's hard to list...even half of them. This time of year with chum fry, little coho, candlefish (thats what I've always called them) and alot of others I'd concentrate on more baitfish patterns, like small clousers, flat wings, little sliders and poppers, and small epoxy head streamers in small sizes. My go to fly is the cutthroat squimp, but this time of year I'll use more fry and baitfish patterns because of the numbers of small baitfish thats available too them.

3. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Every one of those will catch fish, and Kelvin will be so proud of the Double K's!

If you want another baitfish streamer to work on, try Lamberts Candlefish, it's a buck tail streamer that is simple, but very effective.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

4. Dipnet

Dipnet The wanted posters say Tim Hartman

As a noob-tyer, Steve, what is a Lamberts Candlefish pattern? I googled it without results.

Thanks! :)

5. james.jimenez

Same here.... But if I google candlefish by its self I got some hits... If you have a pic please post.

6. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    I will get a picture/recipe up tomorrow when u get a chance.

7. porterHause

porterHause Just call me Jon

Media:
  8. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

James and Dipnet,
    You may want to pick up Les Johnson's book. Lots of patterns there along with some history which I find to be an important and enjoyable part of fly tying.
    Jack
    A thought..................A fisherman armed with just the three flies pictured on the book's cover would catch a lot of cutthroat. There are many other potent patterns in the book.
    (the flies are the Miyawaki Beach Popper, Knudsen's Cutthroat, and the Silver Brown)
    DSC01465.JPG

9. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Yes, Porterhause hit it, I screwed up the name, sorry. It's a classic and always produces, I picked up my two biggest fish for the year so far with Lambuths Candlefish, not that cutthroat hammering baitfish are that selective, but it worked. I was getting a ton of smaller fish on a chum fry pattern, so I switched to a Lambuths so my fly would stand out a bit.

And that's the Searun Bible Jack is recommending. If you don't have it, buy it. That's where I first read about the fly.

Jeff Dodd and Gary Knowels like this.
  10. Preston

Preston Active Member

The late Letcher Lambuth (1890-1974) was an innovative craftsman and a painstaking observer of the natural world. He netted baitfish out of Elliott Bay and kept them for observation in a cold, saltwater aquarium in his basement. His candlefish is probably the best-known of his patterns but he also developed a herring imitation as well asa number of other saltwater streamers. Here's the sandlance tied with bucktail (Letcher used polar bear hair, which was much more readily available then).
    DSCF2284-1.JPG

11. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Thanks Preston! There it is guys.

12. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    I am
    those look great and will fish well!

13. Jack Devlin

Preston,
    Nice pattern, the Lambuth "Candlefish". I wonder if Mr. Lambuth intended to imitate a Candlefish or, as you say, a Sand lance?
    Jack

14. Preston

Preston Active Member

I'm quite certain he intended it as an imitation of the sandlance (Hexaptera ammodytes) since the Columba River smelt (Thaleichthys pacificus, eulachon) is not that common in Puget Sound south of the Nooksack River. Also, as has been pointed out above, in those days the sandlance was almost universally referred to as "candlefish" in the Puget Sound region. The "candlefish" monicker was supposedly applied to the eulachon because it was so oily that, when dried, a wick could be run through it and it could be burned like a candle.

Oil rendered from the eulachon was a staple in the diet of northern coastal tribes as a condiment on fresh greens and an important item of commerce; trade routes from the coast to the interior were commonly known as "grease trails". A yummy sounding treat was "Indian ice cream"; eulachon grease and cold water beaten into a froth with berries.

15. Jack Devlin

In my travels in Southeast Alaska, I've had soapberries with sugar and beaten to a froth with a soapberry spoon, but never with eulachon oil. I'd give it a try.:)
    Jack

Bob Triggs likes this.
  16. Preston

Preston Active Member

Nah, I think I'll pass.

17. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    Jack, Be sure and let us know how yummy it is.....OK?

18. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

James, I tie some Reversed Spiders, and I say you have the technique down, with some great-looking color combos, but maybe not the proportions. (I'm just a hack at tying, so take all this with a grain of salt).
    I like to tie in my Mallard Flank hackles a bit sparser, using hackles with slightly longer fibers than the ones seen in the column on the left in your pic. Long enough so that they reach back to the bend of the hook when the fly is getting stripped.
    Also, I will eventually end up using all the longer-fibered hackles in my bag, and then Ill be tempted to deploy the shorter ones, forcing me to tie them on smaller or shorter hooks, until finally I can get to the hackle dealer for a fresh bag!
    I like the taper you put on the bodies.
    I try to whip mine off right above the hook point, but there's nothing wrong with those shorter bodies.

These are just words of criticism from a tying hack. Also, I ain't no cutthroat, so my opinion is what its worth. You'll have to ask a cutthroat to get the truth.

19. Preston

Preston Active Member

Mike Kinney's rule of thumb on the length of his spider's body was right at or a little short of the hook point. Three turns of hackle gives just about the right degree of sparseness. Guinea hackle is usually considered to be a bit too stiff for the optimum amount of movement; duck flank and Amherst or Golden Pheasant tippet are commonly preferred. Tying the chenille in at the middle of the hook shank, winding forward to just behind the eye of the hook (this reinforces the base of the hackle and helps to force the hackle into a conical form) then reversing and winding back to the tie-off point gives a nice taper.

Jim Wallace and Jeff Dodd like this.
  20. james.jimenez

I was running out of good feathers when it came to tying the spiders on the right side of the picture. I try to stretch the little amount of good feathers as far as I could. I will try these out soon, wish me luck.